Breeding gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lately I have been getting very involved with my aquariums. I spend most of my time with my SW tank, but since I moved my FW from a 10 gal to a 29 gal, I have been given them more attention. I am very fascinated with my angels, but the gouramis have cought my attention in other ways. I have looked into breeding them and was intrigued by the possibility. They are both dwarf gouramis, BUT I have one red (female) and one poweder blue (male).

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=58219

I have read this post and do not want to do anything unnatural. The gouramis that I have, have not shown any sign of spawning, but I do have a lot of surface aggitation which I believe would hinder the creation of a bubble nest. I have an empty 10 gal that I could use for a breeding tank. I have a moral obligation to reasearch the possibilities and consequenses of mixing the species, so I am asking for any input as to should this be done or not? I value the opinions of others (especially on this site :wink: ). By no means am I trying to start a huge debate over the subject, I am just looking for others input on the idea. I mentioned the idea to a lfs guy by stating "I could breed a red gourami and a blue gourami and make purple gouramis" in jest, and he stated that I could make a lot of money by doing so. That is NOT my goal, I am merely looking for ways to challenge myself, and I feel that breeding fish could be a challenging step for me. Again, I do not wish for an argument or in depth debate, and if it cannot or should not be done, then that is an acceptable answer. Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.

I'm by no means an expert on fish, but I'll give you my .02 for what it's worth to you. I think the breeding of any living thing should be taken seriously and the well being of the breeding pair and their offspring should come as the number one priority.

You have a red Gourami (which I'm assuming is a Dwarf Flame?) and a Powder Gourami... both are VERY beautiful fish as they are. Why not strive to create a strong healthy line of one or the other species as a whole instead of messing with nature to create a 'new mix'?

- Mandy

If yours are indeed a 'flame' dwarf and a powder blue, they are both the same species (unlike what was suggested in the thread you referenced), but different colours....potentially very breedable, although you likely have two males, I am afraid.

It is very possible, what I have read about sexing them is that the rear dorsal fin of a female is rounded as where a male is more pointed. The flame (I appologize for misrepresenting it) has a bland color to "her" and gradually becomes more red towards the tail. The powder blue is bright blue from head to tail. I tried to get a picture earlier, but she is very camera shy. It was strange, if I look into the tank she will come out, but the minute that I held up the camera, poof, like a rocket she was gone. Are there any other means of sexing them.

Again, I do not want to cause any form of hostility. The reason I ask about these two fish is because I have in my tank at this very moment, and I believe that one is a female and one is a male. The well being of my fish is the utmost priority, which is why I come here for advice prior to taking any action.

Thank you GouramiFanatic and Toritis for the input.

I've got some pictures of the flame and blue gourami. Could you give me your insights on the sex of both. I believe that the flame is a female and the powder blue is a male.

Attachments

• flame_228.jpg
    flame_228.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 212
  • powder_blue.jpg
    powder_blue.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 215
they're definetly both male i'm afraid. Females are less attractive to the eye and are generally sliver or cream coloured. Females are smaller than the males

Yes that flame is a male. I have both male and female flame dwarf gourami if you want to look at gallery

Back
Top Bottom