Breeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im thinking of turning my 15g into a guppy breeder and creating a good strong strain and selling on here or giving them to friends in the hobby. Is there ayhing special id have to do for them?

get about 1 male for 3 females would be my suggestion and let them get to it, then provide hiding spaces for the babies, they will breed even if you don't want you too haha

lol i want to go more in depth like selective breeding certain colors etc lol im new to breeding in general so im not sure what I'd need to do

lol i always knew it was easy never knew this easy though lol. Im going to need to get some moer java moss and some high quality guppies as well

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
not sure if i hae any local breeders il have to look i was also thinking about ordering from someone on here

How exotic do u want them to look like contest exotic?

I got most of my strains on AB. Some have done better than others, but in general the fancier strains are not as prolific as your common petstore guppies are. Just something to keep in mind, but there are lots of places and people who have different strains, just keep an eye out. A good LFS could special order some certain strains but they will be sight unseen.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
Not contest exotic just a bit more better looking the what you find at most lfs. Just enough pop to make someone go wow they look beautiful.

Ok buy a couple ones u think have the best colors or look the coolest. Then selectively breed them. Eventually u will get the exotic colors u look for

there are plenty of good guppies on aquabid. Jeff hiller in kansas city. Luke Robeck in Cali. I must warn you, it is not as simple as you think. Genetics can be confusing, and you must keep the water clean and feed the babies like 5-6 times a day, in order to get them up to proper size.

I has an idea. Do some research I might be able to find a chart of allels and phenotypes of the gupies

Back
Top Bottom