Breeding Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donavin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I I've decided to leave the fry from my 3f guppies in the main tank and let nature take it course so to speak. I haven't notice large numbers of fry but every now and then I see one dart out of the plants or cave then disappear. I'm curious to know will I begin to notice them more as the survivors get larger or with I just wake up and notice I have a tank full of Guppies. I've heard they are serious breeders.

Hello Don...

I have large tanks of Fancy Guppies and have always left the fry in the main tank with the others. Just feed all the fish a little more often, like every few hours and you'll have a high fry survival rate. I've found that well fed adult Guppies seldom bother the fry.

Most Livebearers are excellent breeders, because they're very hardy, except for Mollies. If you change half the tank water weekly, keeping the water very clean, you should have new fry about once a month.

I started with six Guppies in a 12 gallon tank about seven or eight years ago and now have six larger tanks with about 1,500 individuals.

They thrive in heavily planted tanks that provide privacy for the females from the males and hiding places for the fry.

Again, pure water conditions make a perfect enviroment for the fish. So, I change at least half the water in my tanks every 6 or 7 days. This way you guarantee a clean, stable environment for the fish and plants.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Don...

I have large tanks of Fancy Guppies and have always left the fry in the main tank with the others. Just feed all the fish a little more often, like every few hours and you'll have a high fry survival rate. I've found that well fed adult Guppies seldom bother the fry.

Most Livebearers are excellent breeders, because they're very hardy, except for Mollies. If you change half the tank water weekly, keeping the water very clean, you should have new fry about once a month.

I started with six Guppies in a 12 gallon tank about seven or eight years ago and now have six larger tanks with about 1,500 individuals.

They thrive in heavily planted tanks that provide privacy for the females from the males and hiding places for the fry.

Again, pure water conditions make a perfect enviroment for the fish. So, I change at least half the water in my tanks every 6 or 7 days. This way you guarantee a clean, stable environment for the fish and plants.

B

Hi B

If you are changing half of your water on a weekly bases how are you keeping the levels down?

I just asking. It would such frequent water changes cause the ammonia levels to be high and not give the beneficial bacteria time to build up?

I just asking. It would such frequent water changes cause the ammonia levels to be high and not give the beneficial bacteria time to build up?

I think you're confused. Water changes are done to REMOVE ammonia and get ammonia levels DOWN. There is not ammonia in your tap water (at least there should not be!), so changing water won't add waste to your tank.... that defeats the purpose of a water change...

Beneficial bacteria will not die through water changes, the biological filter will remain in tact if you cycled the tank properly in the first place.

50% water changes are excellent. The more water changes the better for most fish, as nothing can make a fish healthier than clean water. So don't be afraid to do water changes.

Something important to remember: if you do not treat your water changes for chlorine, the chlorine can kill your biological filter!

Thanks ga. I think you said what I was thinking. The chlorine will harm the fish. I've just never heard of 50% changes only 20 to 25% changes. It just seems like a 50% changes would be almost like restarting the tank. But it makes sense the that dechlorinating the water and keeping the bio filter should work.

Thanks ga. I think you said what I was thinking. The chlorine will harm the fish. I've just never heard of 50% changes only 20 to 25% changes. It just seems like a 50% changes would be almost like restarting the tank. But it makes sense the that dechlorinating the water and keeping the bio filter should work.

Yup!If the tank is cycled you will have no problems doing large water changes. Some people, like discus keepers, have systems that constantly replace the water in the tank. I think 20% water changes is too little, especially if a tank is fully stocked. You just can't go wrong with pristine water :)

How warm would you safe the water needs to be? 82?

ocminpin said:
Yes.. 78-82..
I keep my fish at 80-82... Mollies & Platy are happy :)

I keep mine the same. Seems to keep the Lil Guys more active.

Back
Top Bottom