Breeding Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sebby132

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

So I'm thinking that I would like to start breeding guppies for feeder fish. This will be my first time ever breeding fish. Just would like some tips and helping info?

Thanks in advance

Sebastian Blake

Just get a male and 2 females in a 10 gallon tank, throw a heater in there, get a couple sponge filters/hob, throw in a few plants (real or fake) and you should be good to go. They'll do it themselves, and really fast at that. You might want a second grow out tank for all the fry they make, as they can't all grown up in the 10. Nothing below a 10 would be good for breeding them IMO. Fairly simple though. The bigger the tank, the better so remember you can have more growing out and more pairs in lets say a 40 breeder than a 10 gallon tank.

Alright thanks, how long does it take? And if I only have one tank for breeding should it be fine if I leave the fry in the breeder box only until the get big enough so the parents can't eat them? And crushed up fish flakes is sufficient food for fry?

Sebastian Blake

It takes about a week or two from my experience. And it is fine for the fry to live in the breeding net but it is much better if you use alot of live plants such as java moss and just let the male and females be in there after a week there would be little fry swimming around just make sure there is alot of cover.

I love guppies and get excited when see babies ,i have a 2nd tank for baby fry to grow up in.so far all doing well.seeing colour start to show on there tails and to see what is female and male.I feed them top quanlity food flakes and for babies ground up fish powder.

Hi Seb, congrats on starting to breed guppies! I've started by default, lol. My two females are fat, and I'm hoping to be a guppie grannie in a few days.

Would love to hear an update on how it's going!

:fish1::fish1:

Since we're on the topic of guppy fry. How long before I let them out of the breeder box? They're growing amazingly fast

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Since we're on the topic of guppy fry. How long before I let them out of the breeder box? They're growing amazingly fast

Any chance of a pic? If I was to guess (I'm doing just that), it's a balance between how they are accommodated in their space - do they look like they might be stressed and running out of room? Have you got some mosses/foliage for safety they can hide in when out? I hope that's helpful.
This is how I've set my tank up ready for fry..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468403769.198393.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

FYI - I tried putting the fat ladies in a breeding box (divided) but one end up with a split tail and I felt guilty about not knowing how long they'd be in there. So I'm trying the 'breeding' thing without a cage... I'm hoping the moss will protect a good number..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey Ruutah, I'm keen to know how you went with this. Any recommendations? I've put one fry in the breeder box - hopefully more soon. I know another one is hiding somewhere lol. How fast do they grow?

Congrats!

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!!

Well.. So far I have only seen 2 fry.. And the fat ladies are still looking very pregnant. It's been 24 hours since the 1st fry.. Did I research correctly that if it's a first pregnancy it can take days to drop fry?

I've seen two more fry.. I've decide to put the mom as in the breeding cage because I think they are voraciously trying eat their fry. I know I have 2-3 fry in the tank now. But gee they are good at hiding! I have spent hours at this point watching the tank... Omg.

How many have they dropped? Its hard to see on my phone.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There aren't any in the breeding tray at the moment. The orange mum has dropped 3 -4 ... Or more fry which are either in hiding or eaten as she has lost some of her square/full look. The darker mum I believe is close to dropping. So I'm sticking them in the tray for now.. Do you think that's ok while I see what's actually happening? Up until now they have both had the run of the tank, but also possibly eating fry

Back
Top Bottom