Breeding help please!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msweitzer24

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just getting in to breeding and have a small tank. It has multiple plants and a fake rock tower. I am wondering what fish are the best to breed for begginers and how should I start out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright thanks

Live bearers are generally the simplest fish to breed, because they pretty much do so whether you want them to or not. Guppies have been bred in so many pretty patterns and colours, even the females have colour now. Endlers are fun though. Closely related to guppies but quite a bit smaller. Females are a nickel silver shade, only the males have bright colours. The wild form ones are rather variable, but there are several colour strains, such as Black Bar, or Neon Reds. There are also Endler/Guppy hybrids, which are usually a larger fish. Both are prolific, as are most live bearing fish. Platies are another you might consider, though they're larger, they also come in some beautiful bright colours and are hardy, easy fish to keep. They all like hard, alkaline water conditions best.

Clean water and regular maintenance are your best pals for any breeding efforts. Feeding some frozen or live food is always a good idea too, providing better nutrition for breeding fish.

How do I prevent the fish from getting eaten at birth

Lots of fake or real plants. Quite literally stuff the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use mosses for the bottom or fake breeding grass, or a lot of floaters, like frogbit or duckweeds, or floating water sprite. You can also take out the babies and raise them separately, you will get higher survival rates that way.

There are breeder boxes that you can hang either on the front of a tank outside or on the inside, which share the tank's water, but are not accessible to the adult fish. These also make it easier to feed the fry. If you can, try to get a culture of microworms, they make an excellent fry food and live for about a week in the tank after you put them in. Fry will happily take them off a bare bottom breeder box, saving you having to feed as often. New fry need feeding several times a day if you feed dry food.

I will post a picture in like 15 minutes of the tank so far and I can go from their

Ok I just dont know if I can get them around here

Endler's do eat fry ! Though from what I've seen, the females appear to eat the fry of other females mostly, rather than their own. Interesting that they seem to be able to tell the difference.

Ok thanks fishfur. Im going to get them now. I have a 5 gallon. How many male and female should I get

Ok well I got 1 male and 2 female guppies. Lets see what happens

Back
Top Bottom