Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Breeding Kribensis

I would like to know some of the general things I need to breed these guys! Should I use sand or fine gravel, I really don't want to use sand if I don't have to.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have not yet bred them. But they are in the process of laying eggs. I am expecting eggs sometime in the next few hours. I do have sand and I recommend it. (Sorry!) but I assume gravel will work too. The reason I recommend sand in because the love digging holes and playing in it! And I read on many online sources that if you have gravel that the fry can fall down into them and get stuck and eventually die. What do u have to breed them in? I use a 6" flower pot that I cut in half(what a hassle that was!!) and they are in that as we speak digging a hole and depositing the sand outside of the entrance. I have 4 different size terra cotta pots of all different sizes. And they chose the smallest one. Back to the sand...it is very cheep if you buy pool filter sand. I got my white sand for $8 for 50 lbs. the only downside is that you will definitely have to rinse it (and rinse it again. And again. And a few more times. And when your done rinsing it, do it twice more) that is because you don't want al, of the particles floating suspended in your water. Good luck breeding the kribs!

Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I could use a small gravel?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

When they where breeding did u keep them with any other fish?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My pair isn't that aggressive but I have heard of pairs taking down all other fish in the tank. I have mine with angels and blk skirt tetras, cherry barbs, Corys and Molly's. But I wouldn't recommend it. It all depends on the pair you get. I'd definitely get some dithers on the other hand. It will focus the aggressiveness of the male(or female) on other fish rather than the mate. I recommend something along the lines of larger tetras. Depending on tank size. As for the gravel....I wouldn't do it. But it's your tank so it's up to you.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine will be in a ten gallon, how many fry will you get after each try?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

10 is a little small. Is there any way you could upgrade? If you can't then there is no possible way you can have tank mates. Even the pair is pushing it.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks how will you get rid of your baby's?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I won't. I will grow them out in either a 75gal and/or a 37gal and sell them to my lfs
Old 01-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't have any tanks to put them in so I will sell them to my pet store and friends
Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The last thing I will say is that it is going to be very difficult trying to grow out fry and breed the pair in just a 10 gal. But I wish u luck
Old 01-24-2014, 02:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

It really doesn't matter as long as you have substrate, mine bred with normal pebbles as their substrate.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

In what size tank?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have mine in a 75. But u def don't need all of that. The pair eventually did lay the eggs. It's been almost 24hours since they did. I can't see the baby's or the eggs anymore so I assume they moves them. A little piece of advice is that the females stomach will always be purple. The males face and part of his body will turn purple when he wants to breed.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a pair of kirbs in.a commumity tank with 4 angels 6 barbs and a bristlenose they havent.got to the egg laying stage i havent put anything in for them to lay but they have taken over the sunken aircraft carrier in the tank the only fish i worry about is the bristlenose as the male will not tolerate him being near the aircraft carrier but thats always been the way since we got them and before the female went in the tank, the male has gotten slightly more territorial since thw female went in but the other fish r learning and our bristlenose much to my surprise if the pair go near were he is fed (on the other side tocthe kirbs domain) he get a bit agressive and chases them off.. i think they r fantastic fish and.great to watch im not sure if i would want to try breeding them tho but if it happens it happens i guess... good luck with your pair i would been keen to know how you get on

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
breed, breeding, krib, kribensis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com