Breeding Kribs Or Not !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianant

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys 'n Dolls, A bit of help needed as i'm not sure what's going on with my Kribs. I introduced 1m/1f won't call them a pair 'cos they're not ! Anyway, all was fine for the first day or so Looking promising as they were displaying to each other then all of a sudden the Male decided he didn't like the female any more, Chasing her all over the tank ( Community ) by the way ! untill all she'd do is sit in the corner looking sorry for her self, so i decided to put the Male into my second tank with a new Female and low and behold Exactly the same thing ! Chasing Her all over the place with very little let up. Both females at the start of introduction were Brightly coloured and full of enthusiasm but now they seem to have lost their colouration, now i dont think it has anything to do with water conditions as He has been in Two seperate tanks, Both tanks are well balanced nothing excessive in the water peramiters Both are however 70ltr tanks (different dimentions tho') they have been feeding on Flake, Freeze dried Bloodwormand and f/d brine shrimp as well as Newly Hatched B/s so the Diet is varied. Is it possible the i've just got a Naturally Aggresive Male or is there something else i should be doing to try and help things along ?

From what I'm to understand that is normal behavior. I know when we had rams they did the same thing and in talking to our LFS about kribs it's just how the males establish their dominance. Just make sure the females have places to hide until the male makes a choice.

Hey Dragon Thanks, would you happen to know, if i were to put more than one female in with him would they fight betewen themselves or not ?

From what I've read on Kribs, and my experience with other cichlids, they only go for M/F not M/F/F. They form monogamous pairs. I know with our rams the females would fight each other until we added enough males for them to all pair off. Unlike guppies and other live bearers whom you want to keep at a higher female to male ratio.

From what I'm to understand that is normal behavior. I know when we had rams they did the same thing and in talking to our LFS about kribs it's just how the males establish their dominance. Just make sure the females have places to hide until the male makes a choice.

This is quite true :), my male krib used to show the same behaviour but now they are a loving pair breeding quite frequently, just like DragonFish said, make sure she has plenty places to go and hide if he gets too full on with the agression and things should eventually settle down. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom