Breeding live bearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charybdis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Am soon going to start up a 38 gallon aquarium and I cannot decide on what kind of live bearer to chose. I already have 1 balloon Molly from my old aquarium, so I am trying to decide if I want swordtails, mollies, or guppies. Is one easier than the other? What are your recommendations.

I would say guppies there is so much more variety of colours

Platies are fun too. If you buy ones that are different you get some unique babbies. I've had some that you can't find in any store.

Platys are not aggresive likes mollies can be and nip others.

They swim all around the tank mollies just swim at the top and proudce a lot more waste.

Platys are bigger than guppies so they wont get eaten so easily.

GOOO PLATY!!!!!!!

Im not bias :lol:

I am crazy so I would say all three as long as you don't add swordtails or endlers you don't have to worry about cross breeding. Do a trio or quartet of each and add both bottom and top baby places you will have babies of all sizes all the time and even if the adults eat half you still may have to sell. I did swordtails guppies and Molly's but the swords killed my Molly's but I think the platys would do much better :)

Josh1158 said:
Platies are fun too. If you buy ones that are different you get some unique babbies. I've had some that you can't find in any store.

Very true I have a female blue rainbow and make bumblebee and it's the cutest thing to see them following one another

Wow ! I would go with mollies ;) I mean who can say no to this face?!?!

View attachment 87541

( if your new to breeding livebearers see the link in my signature it has info on breeding and raising livebearers)

I would go with platys :D mine are pretty cool and colors vary. Not to big bio-load and easy to breed as long with guppys. Molly's look pretty good but can't see gravid spot and big bio-load. I would narrow it down to swordtails,guppys, or platys. :)

Back
Top Bottom