Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breeding livebearers.

So, next week I'm going to start breeding some livebearers. I would prefer endler's, but I will go with guppies if I can find some pretty ones.

Anyway, so I read off of the internet the basic idea, which is pretty straightforward. I think I have that all laid out. I have a 10g that will be empty that is fully established of the last six months or so that could use some plants.

So, for the breeder/fry box, which is better? I don't have another tank for the fry, so this is my best option.

Either the plastic separated one:
Top Fin&#0174 Breeders - Fish Care - Fish - PetSmart

Or the mesh one:
Top Fin&#0174 Net Breeder - Fish Care - Fish - PetSmart

Or if someone has another idea, I am all ears.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

IMO the mesh ones are better. More water flow.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alrighty. Thank you.

I will pick that one up soon then. The plastic one seems a bit weird, but it gets recommended more on the articles I have read. Either way, it gets the job done.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, basically, how many males/females should I have in the 10g? I don't want the females too stressed, so I was thinking of getting just one male and like five females. Sound alright?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
So, basically, how many males/females should I have in the 10g? I don't want the females too stressed, so I was thinking of getting just one male and like five females. Sound alright?
Your going to have lots of fry soon so maybe start off with 1 male and 3 female. You can always add another one if the first three are being bugged too much.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good point. It seems like a long process. From like twenty to forty days, from what I've read.

So, how often would you say they will start dropping and normally how many would survive? As usual, everyone says different things.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Good point. It seems like a long process. From like twenty to forty days, from what I've read.

So, how often would you say they will start dropping and normally how many would survive? As usual, everyone says different things.
About once a month. If you get pregnant females from the LFS (most likely) it could be anytime for their first drop. It really depends in the size/age of the female as to how many fry she will have. Could be 10, could be 100. I have heard of a fairly high mortality rate for new borns (40%). My experience with guppy fry is fairly limited sorry. I had 3 females when I first started out but after 3 lots of fry I rehomed them. From a guess out of the ones I saved about 1/3 survived to maturity.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. I have gathered this span of information that is basically all relative to the species. Just curious about your experience.

I was thinking also of maybe some other options of an easy breeder that will produce many babies. Maybe like an American Flagfish. Haven't looked into their process, but I saw them on Aquabid.com and it got me interested in some research. Or mosquito fish.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
come get me tang police!

Mosquitofish would be a good option. Guppies usually have around 20-30 fry but it varies based on several factors.

Based on your location you could probably collect mosquitofish if you really wanted, I actually went out for a few minutes yesterday and got a bunch myself.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Endlers and wild guppies are hardier than fancies. And there is no need to use a breeder box. They will just stress out your female and she will most likely not drop. Don't ever move a female right b4 she drops.

Tags
breed, breeding, live, livebearers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com