Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding mollies

I have a community tank with 4 blood fin 3 neon and one serpae tetra, male betta two Cory's and two ghost shrimp. I love mollies and i really want to breed fish. I was wondering if I got 1 male and 1 female and put them in the community tank will they still breed? I have a deac amout of hiding places, and I don't want every single baby to survive cuz I will run out of room unfortunately. I have a 10 gal just sitting around but I really don't want to set it up unless I need too. What should I do?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pckerfreak44
I have a community tank with 4 blood fin 3 neon and one serpae tetra, male betta two Cory's and two ghost shrimp. I love mollies and i really want to breed fish. I was wondering if I got 1 male and 1 female and put them in the community tank will they still breed? I have a deac amout of hiding places, and I don't want every single baby to survive cuz I will run out of room unfortunately. I have a 10 gal just sitting around but I really don't want to set it up unless I need too. What should I do?
You might be able to breed them it's not hard with livebearers it is usually 1male:2-3female ratio. You could have the 10G has a fry tank because that's what I did to mine. They will get gravid spot and fat once she is preggers.

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alright. Thanks alot
Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Alright. Thanks alot
Welcome also put something over filter so no fry will be sucked up!! Nylon or sponge will work
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ohhh good idea. Didn't even think about that lol thankss
Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

or you could just go with the survival of the fittest method. as long as you have some good hiding spots (both top and bottom) you might have some survivors. I still have 17 from my molly. pretty sure they are all going to make it. I lost a lot the first day, but after 2-3 days things really calmed down. I didn't cover the filter either. pretty sure none got sucked up - they would have been eaten first probably!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pckerfreak44 View Post
Speaking from personal experience: Yes they will breed, and breed, and breed and breed.....
Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I think I am going to do survival of the fittest, and that's the problem. I don't want them to breed to much. I can sell the fish to the lfs right? Petsmart is the one I usually go to
Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah I think I am going to do survival of the fittest, and that's the problem. I don't want them to breed to much. I can sell the fish to the lfs right? Petsmart is the one I usually go to
They give you more in store credit but they might buy them for cheap call them first before you go over there.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alright thanks I wanna work there. Do you think this would help me like get in with the people so I have a better chance of working there? Haha

Tags
breed, breeding, mollies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com