Breeding mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaitlyns17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to the breeding world and I've heard that mollies are a relatively easy fish to breed. I was going to start out with Dalmatian mollies and I already ordered a fry tank for the pregnant mom if I manage to do this correctly. Is there a specific temperature needed and will my bristle nose pleco eat the fry once they're big enough to be introduced to the tank? Also what should I feed the fry?

Is a 10 gallon enough for a couple of mollies? Already have people who volunteered to take a couple of babies for their tanks and my school said they'll take the rest for their 100gal they're setting up soon so it won't be a permanent situation for the fry.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi I'm new to the breeding world and I've heard that mollies are a relatively easy fish to breed. I was going to start out with Dalmatian mollies and I already ordered a fry tank for the pregnant mom if I manage to do this correctly. Is there a specific temperature needed and will my bristle nose pleco eat the fry once they're big enough to be introduced to the tank? Also what should I feed the fry?

Is a 10 gallon enough for a couple of mollies? Already have people who volunteered to take a couple of babies for their tanks and my school said they'll take the rest for their 100gal they're setting up soon so it won't be a permanent situation for the fry.

I just keep my fry at the same temp as main tank. The bn catfish shouldn't be an issue, my small livebearers will cheerfully steal food from them. A 10gal seems a tad small imo - I prefer to keep say one male to 3 or 4 females to spread the attention around and end up with a small school. Perhaps guppies.

the fish should give birth to around 10-70 fry.
the temperature should be around 25-29 degrees.
the catfish may eat some fry, but not as many as another fish.
i would recommend a new tank specifically for breeding.
i am an experienced breeder with mollies and i have found that doing this works.

hope this helped :)

The bristlenose won't eat fish unless they are already dead. I would definitely get a bigger tank for them though, even the pleco. The 10g would work as a fry tank when you do have them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 mollies, and the female had fry but i only managed to save 1 because the tiger barb found them very tasty, i found 2 more fry inside my filter when i was cleaning it. I do have a pleco but i dont know if he ate any bit i saw the tiger barb munch one down in live action i didnt have a breeding tank thing i hust put him in a big net and fed it until it got big enough to be safely replaced into the aquarium. To have them breed you have to have you water above 78 degrees, and they are pretty easy to breed, but i lost my female molly shortly after birth maybe it got sick. Good luck

Keep water temp 78-80, no your pleco will not eat them but other fish (even not aggressive) can eat them, throwing fry from tank to tank may be bad for them.

Back
Top Bottom