Breeding Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amphibianboy528

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well,I have been interested in breeding fish for some time.And did some research that mollies are the easiest breeders.I intend to breed them in a 20 BW tank.I have it all set-up and cycled.Also I have a breeding net for the babies.And I don't know what to feed the babies and how to take care of them.Please anybody have any tips for me.I could really use it right now.Thanks Everybody!!!! :D

The first few days I always use Liquifry #2 then shortly after switch them to powdered flakes. (just put a tiny pinch in your palm and turn it to powder with a finger). Seems to work well every time. Just be sure to stay on top of your water changes as the Liquifry leaves a film on the water surface.

Mollies are very easy to breed. The hard part is actually stopping them. You probably already know this but be sure to get two adult females for every adult male that you have. Otherwise you'll have some very exhausted fish. Also it has been my experience that a breeding net isn't necessary. The adults just ignore the fry. I also recommend Liquifry #2 and as they get older switch over to New Life Spectrum Grow as well as frozen foods several times a week.

but I also intend to have other BW fish with them.Basically feather-fin rainbow fish,bumble-bee gobies,scorpion fish,and anableps.

I agree with gheitman that breeding net isn't necessary. My platies ignore their fry. My dwarf gourami tried to eat the fry, but of course the fry swims much faster. The fry are smart enough to hide inbetween gravels and plant roots. So just let them be and let the nature takes its course. Breeding net is very stressful for the mom.
I don't feed my fry any special food. Just the crushed flakes that goes to the bottom and sometimes the sinking shrimp pellets.
Good luck :D

I bred mollies from fw to bw. They can and will breed in any water conditions and parents usually ignore the fries. You can feed the fries pretty anything the parents eat only in smaller size. I crushed my flakes to feed the fries.

We had a ton of baby mollies last year and we fed them small guppy food. I also used a breeder net for the babies beacuse we had Bala Sharks and they kept eating them.

Back
Top Bottom