Breeding my Fancy Goldfish again attempt #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt68005

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hand stripped my calico today. She was being chased by all 3 males in my fancy tank, i guess now i know all their sexes. Got maybe 100 eggs out of her and fertilitzed with my Red Cap oranda. This time i put them in a bigger Clear tub with about 4" of water, bottom heat, and an airstone. It stays about 76-78 in there because its still warm where i live, i unplugged the bottom heat pad because that would be too warm (its for seeds). Added some M. Blue as well. This is my second time attempting breeding them (first was in april) and i definately got a few more eggs out of her. Wish me luck.

Okay so they are hatching about 20 so far, i need to know, today is friday, i figure monday i should move them to a bigger tank and put a spoonge filter in, im broke so i cant even get an aquarium its just gonna be from the flat tuppeware to a taller one of a bout the same volume, i know goldfish can be crushed and die if the water volume goes up or down too fast, but my question is, would they be okay just moving from a long flat tub to a taller one so i can put my mini spoonge filter in? im gonna just puree my adult pellets in the blender and feed them that monday since im completely broke, its about the same amount of water just taller, should i just siphon off the bottom and then fill them up slowly with water from the adult tank and dump them into the new tub? or would that kill them? should i net them? im confused

How deep is their present container? The new one? How old are they right now and are they free swimming?

Depth is a factor but I find it to not be a huge issue with all goldfish fry. SVR and TVR are the two breeds that depth is a big concern as it affects their spinal development. In general, 12in or less is ideal for fry under 4wks that are free swimming and eating on their own.

Eggs are inexpensive. I would consider mixing cooked egg yolk with the powdered food into a thick liquid and feed this so that they are getting some much needed protein. Please ask any questions! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The preset container is about 3 inches deep and the one i want to move them too (so they can have a mini spoonge with no uplift, already cycled in the adult tank) is about 7-8 inches or 2.5 times the depth as the original. They just hatched friday and are just kind of hanging out. WIll try the egg yolk thing along with the ground up food, but whats the best way to move them. Today is sunday and i figure by monday they will be old enough and all hatched, since its fairly warm in my apartment, stays around 78 day and 76 night. Whats the best way to move them? Net them, or just suction up the unhatched eggs and dead fry and slowly add water to the original tub until its full (maxes out at around 6 inches, but its a little longer and wider wich means its about the same amount of water as the new container, just diffrent shape) I think i probably shouldnt just dump them in to the new one because it will be a shock, so im a little confused/hesitant about what to do tomrow night. (mon)
Edit: im not sure how many there are, maybe 20 something, and the male was a red cap oranda the female a grey with black spots calico.

The preset container is about 3 inches deep and the one i want to move them too (so they can have a mini spoonge with no uplift, already cycled in the adult tank) is about 7-8 inches or 2.5 times the depth as the original. They just hatched friday and are just kind of hanging out. WIll try the egg yolk thing along with the ground up food, but whats the best way to move them. Today is sunday and i figure by monday they will be old enough and all hatched, since its fairly warm in my apartment, stays around 78 day and 76 night. Whats the best way to move them? Net them, or just suction up the unhatched eggs and dead fry and slowly add water to the original tub until its full (maxes out at around 6 inches, but its a little longer and wider wich means its about the same amount of water as the new container, just diffrent shape) I think i probably shouldnt just dump them in to the new one because it will be a shock, so im a little confused/hesitant about what to do tomrow night. (mon)
Edit: im not sure how many there are, maybe 20 something, and the male was a red cap oranda the female a grey with black spots calico.

Ok, the difference between 3 and 6 or so inches should not be a big deal as long as everyone is free swimming. Free swimming stage starts about 48-72 hours after they hatch and the yolk sac has been fully absorbed thus they start swimming around in search of food. Moving them before they are free swimming can be stressful to them so I try not to move until this stage.

Moving tiny fry takes time. I use a small white scoop or white tablespoon size spoon to gently relocate them along with a bit of water they are in. You can also just transfer all the fry along with all their water to the new container then slowly fill the rest with temperature matched, conditioned water. I would not use suction on them as they are too tiny and fragile. Hope this helps a bit- please ask any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like a plan JLK, ill use a measuring cup and scoop them up and put them into the new taller tub with my spoonge and some cycled water from my main tank and that mini spoonge. I REALLY hope it turns out okay, my kids would love to see them grow up, ill get a ten gallon soon as they get a little bigger, maybe fill it halfway up and do the same thing in a couple weeks, for now this should make an okay fry tub, just gonna be hard to do PWC in something so small. Should i buy some BBS? Maybe feed the pureed pellets along with 1x a day bbs..........
I guess im just gonna have to monitor ammonia and maybe scoop out a cup full of water at a time and replace with water from the main tank, I may have to buy some more airline tubing to suction the bottom and just be real careful when cleaning. Im excited, never raised a egg layer fish fry before, next time im gonna go buy a mop and use a ten gallon tank and let them breed naturally, that way the fry are already in an appropriate size container, whats the maximum water depth i should use in a ten gallon? Im assuming since they will be "laid" and "born" into it that i can fill it about 3/4 of the way up at least.

Well got most of them yesterday and seem to be doing fine today (Wed) about 15 or so made it and are alive and maybe starting to eat in their new little tupperware tank.

Oh, wow, I am so envious! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom