Breeding My Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've set up a Juwel Korall 60 which i had for Christmas and now it's up and running.
I placed in 5 Neon Tetras, 5 Zebra Danios, 3 Female Guppies, 2 Male Guppies. They all seem to be getting on with each other fine. I was just wondering when my Guppies would Breed so i can prepare my self and get a Breeding Trap etc.
All the Females have their Gravid Spot but one Female keeps hiding by my Filter
Is This Normal ?
When Will They Breed ?

With guppies, all you have to do is add water it seems. Typically they will drop fry about every 30 days. You'll have more than you know what to do with in no time.

Thanks I will just sit back and wait for them to mate.
But Why Is My Female Guppy Not Moving From The Filter. I'm Worried That It's Not Eating ?

Is the one by the filter squared off yet? If so she might be ready to drop. She might be stressed also if you just added them to the tank.

No she was alright on the first day i put the gish in and she is not very fat so thats what got me confused

Guppies

I've set up a Juwel Korall 60 which i had for Christmas and now it's up and running.
I placed in 5 Neon Tetras, 5 Zebra Danios, 3 Female Guppies, 2 Male Guppies. They all seem to be getting on with each other fine. I was just wondering when my Guppies would Breed so i can prepare my self and get a Breeding Trap etc.
All the Females have their Gravid Spot but one Female keeps hiding by my Filter
Is This Normal ?
When Will They Breed ?

Hello Davies...

Your Fancy Guppies reach sexual maturity at about age 2 months and adult size in 6. A healthy female will drop between 20 and 100 live young about every month. You don't need to buy males, just get a couple of females at the pet store, the larger, less colorful of the two fish.

Guppy farms generally keep all the fish together, so the females are already pregnant by the time you buy them. I keep large, planted tanks of Fancy Guppies and keep them all together. You don't need to have a separate place or tank for the female. Just keep all your fish well fed and you'll have a high fry survival rate. It's been my experience with Guppies, that well fed adults have little or no interest in the fry.

You really need to float some fast growing stem plants in the tank, so your female has a secure place to have the fry. I like Water Wisteria and Pennywort. These plants will make a nice hiding place for the fry too.

Here's a tip that will ensure healthy fish: Make sure you keep the water extremely clean. I remove and replace 60 to 70 percent of the water in my tanks every week. This maintains a stable environment for the fish and the plants too.

B

Back
Top Bottom