Breeding neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allthingslife42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
Attempting my first neon spawn, just need a few more tips and tricks and do I need to do water changes everyday due to realeasing growth hormones?

TIA

my friend back in the 60s use to raise cardinal tetras. He used marbles on the bottom no gravel. The eggs fell between the layers of marbles so they would not be eaten. He used lg. sponge filters in the tank. When he saw the fry swimming in the marbles he would remove the breeder fish.He also had a large colony of infusoria growing, jars of them.Also daphnia cultures.I think you are probably going to need the infusoria,Lots of info on cultureing them by using lettuce. good luck

Thank you! I dont have daphnia but i do have paramecium/infusoria culturin right now
Also have stable black worms and microworms source

Will go get a sponge filter!

How abput water changes?

Water changes for breeders is to induce spawning not for hormone reduction.
The best way I know is to separate the 2 sexes for about a 7-10 days and feed them generously with higher protein foods. Place a pair in a specified breeding tank and if you still have no spawn within 2 days, do a water change to see if that gets them to spawn. If not, replace with 2 other fish. I find pair spawning for tanks is better. Group spawning can be done in larger settings.

I was just thinking back when the gold tetras hit the market back in the 60s .I had to have that fish most beautiful tetra so I tried breeding them I did the babies all come out silver very disappointing at that time.water peram ph 6-6.5 water very soft below 4 low lite level I used watersoft pillows ,at that time it was bog ectract to help turn the tank brown witch reduces the light and lowers the ph. Its used for Amazonian fish,The eggs are light sensitive. should be the same perameters for the neons.

Water changes for breeders is to induce spawning not for hormone reduction.
The best way I know is to separate the 2 sexes for about a 7-10 days and feed them generously with higher protein foods. Place a pair in a specified breeding tank and if you still have no spawn within 2 days, do a water change to see if that gets them to spawn. If not, replace with 2 other fish. I find pair spawning for tanks is better. Group spawning can be done in larger settings.
Okay thanks
I am raising about 200 betta fry at the moment and i know they release a growth hormone/enzyme into the water that tells them how big they can grow so i have to do 25% water vhanges everyday to reduce these levels in the water
Glad i wont have to do that with these guys!

Back
Top Bottom