breeding neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really answer a question I don't understand.

General neon breeding info:
Most species of fish require very good conditions to breed. Neons will lay eggs, and then the parents (and any other fish present, they are all likely to eat the eggs and newly hatched babies) must be removed from the aquarium after the eggs are laid.

If you are serious about breeding neons, it may be a good idea to set up an extra planted aquarium for them, and watch for spawning behavior. After the eggs are laid, you can put all the fish back into their normal aquarium, and see if the eggs hatch. The babies can be fed microscopic live foods.

phillip said:
how can i breed them there with other fish though

Well in short, you can't. They have enough problems eating their own eggs without having other fish eating them as well.
Tetras are egg scatterers, when they spawn their eggs fall into plants or leaf litter in the wild, safely away from predators. Even still they breed every morning during the rainy season so there are more than enough eggs to go around.

The way to spawn neons or tetras in general successfully is to setup a specialized breeding tank, one with a milk carton or plastic grating covering the bottom of the tank, even a tank bottom covered with marbles will work. Just a covering so that eggs will fall through, but the parents cannot get to them.
Within a day or two at a temp of 78 the eggs should hatch, I might add that you should keep the tank in total darkness until the fry have hatched. Even then keep the tank dimly lit.

Back
Top Bottom