Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Breeding of Tiger Barbs

I have a question about breeding...actually a few....
1. Is a 20g setup w/ gravel and a few fake plants w/overhead light and filter ok?

2.How can i tell the difference between male and female tiger barbs?

Thanks for any help

Old 09-17-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Barbs are egg scatterers and a 20g would be fine for tiger barbs. The best way to prepare the tank would be to cover the bottom with Java moss to catch and protect the eggs.

Females are slightly larger and have rounder bodies. She'll get a bit more plump when she's swollen with eggs. I'd suggest 2 males and 1 female. Lower the water level when spawning nears. In this way they won't be able to catch and eat the eggs on return passes. Good luck and have fun.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I saw another interesting idea to breed egg-scatterers. Layer the bottom of the aquarium with 1 layer of marbles, then another layer of marbles fitting into the 1st layer. The eggs will fall to the bottom, go between the marbles and end up on the bottom, safe from the parents. Don't know if it works, just another idea. I wonder how the babies would get out though....hmmm...

Anyway,
Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks.....where can i get Java Moss?

55Gallon
1 Pleco
2 Algae Eaters
1 Red Tailed Shark
1 Albino Red Tailed Shark
1 White Tailed Shark
1 Gold Gourami
3 Sunset Gourami's
1 Cory Cat
6 Tiger Barbs
2 Green Tiger Barbs
1 Serpae Tetra
2 Cherry Barbs
RIP Gino the Gold Gourami
nfeagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
LFS sell java moss often in small cups (look like the same cups they use for bettas) better use of the cup

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok....what if i take the adults out after the eggs are dispersed? is that phesable?
like take the female out when she lays egs....and keep male in for a while....ineed a timeframs for this.

Tags
barb, barbs, breed, breeding, tiger, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com