Breeding of Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nfeagle5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a question about breeding...actually a few....
1. Is a 20g setup w/ gravel and a few fake plants w/overhead light and filter ok?

2.How can i tell the difference between male and female tiger barbs?

Thanks for any help

Barbs are egg scatterers and a 20g would be fine for tiger barbs. The best way to prepare the tank would be to cover the bottom with Java moss to catch and protect the eggs.

Females are slightly larger and have rounder bodies. She'll get a bit more plump when she's swollen with eggs. I'd suggest 2 males and 1 female. Lower the water level when spawning nears. In this way they won't be able to catch and eat the eggs on return passes. Good luck and have fun. :D

I saw another interesting idea to breed egg-scatterers. Layer the bottom of the aquarium with 1 layer of marbles, then another layer of marbles fitting into the 1st layer. The eggs will fall to the bottom, go between the marbles and end up on the bottom, safe from the parents. Don't know if it works, just another idea. I wonder how the babies would get out though....hmmm...

Anyway,
Paul

LFS sell java moss often in small cups (look like the same cups they use for bettas) better use of the cup ;)

ok....what if i take the adults out after the eggs are dispersed? is that phesable?
like take the female out when she lays egs....and keep male in for a while....ineed a timeframs for this.

Back
Top Bottom