Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Breeding on Artificial Plants

Will fish breed on artificial silk plants? I was just curious cause I'm thinking about doing using silk plants instead of regular plants.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Cory cats laid eggs on a plant once, but only a few. They usually lay their eggs on the glass anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadots View Post
My Cory cats laid eggs on a plant once, but only a few. They usually lay their eggs on the glass anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Okay I was just wondering, I'm still reading on breeding just for the fun of it.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't know about silk plants, but you can certainly use spawning mops for many egg layers. Buy them or make them easily from a ball of green yarn. Lots of tute's online to make them.

In any event, most fish have distinct preference for where they put the eggs.. even egg scatterers may want to scatter them on moss rather than gravel, for example. So it's very helpful to know what species you want to breed and then read up on what preferences that species has.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My cories laid tons of eggs on my silk plants. And glass. And filter intake. You get the idea haha
Old 11-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

As stated before, fish tend to prefer certain leaf structures for spawning so it is important to know which fish you are considering and which plants you are going to use.
There is another reason to use live plants ,however, in spawning tanks. Live plants have micro organisms that live on the plant and for a number of egglayers, these are excellent first foods for the fry. Personally, I use some live plant or lettuce in my Betta, Tetra and Barb breeding tanks in the hopes that it breaks down because this creates colonies of infusoria which are excellent first foods for these fry. It makes it easier on me and gets the fry to their next feeding stage much quicker.

Hope this helps

Tags
breed, breeding, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com