Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Breeding Pair on Cons for my tank?

Hi I have a 55 gallon tank with the following:

1 Pink Convict
2 Firemouths
2 Blood Parrots
A large School of Corries
and 6 Big ol' Black Skirt Tetras

I was wondering if I could get a pair of Zebra Convicts. I know they are mean, esspecially when they would spawn. But I have tons of rock caves, plants, bog wood, ext. How would it be if I bought these two fish? Thanks!

Old 08-23-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

All bets are off with these guys. When they do breed they will take over whatever part of the tank they want (usually right in the middle). The agression level in the tank will definitely go up. If any of your other fish go near the Cons fry they will get attacked. And a pink con will breed with a striped con. So it is quite possible that you only need to add one Convict to this tank. The result of these two breeding would give you mostly striped Cons.

I would sat 50-50 chance with parrot and firemouth, less than 50% chance for the tetras and cories. I would actually say no chance for these. Eventually at least one will get taken out by the Cons, and possibly all of them.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There's a lot of potential aggression in the tank at present (I'm assuming the BPs are still fairly small?).

A breeding pair of convicts would probably turn your tank into a war zone. They'll claim (at least) half the tank as their own. What's left over will be up for grabs for the rest of the fish- which leads to more fighting. The firemouths and cory cats wouldn't stand a chance...

If you're interested in breeding cons, I'd suggest setting up a separate tank for a breeder pair.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeding, breeding pair, pair, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com