Breeding Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long have you had them? How long has your tank been up and running and what size is it? What are your water parameters? If the tank is new and not fully cycled the fish will be stressed and not want to breed.

Wait. The male is most likely fertilizing the females, you just don't see it. With good water and good nutrition, you will see the females become pregnant. The first time you might suspect it but not be sure, then one day you see what is left of the fry. The next time you will know, and can take isolation measures to increase fry survival, if you wish. The link below shows one possible solution for a breeding tank.

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0019.htm

He he, try putting on some Barry White, lighting some candles, and turning down the lights. Seriously, just let nature take its course, he should get interested soon. And if nothing else, I found getting another male (and the proper proportion of females) tends to get my mollies in a competitive mood. They get into breeding wars over dominance...It's kinda funny.

o.o how can they NOT be breeding?! my mollies breed worse than guppies! and platies are right smack next to mollies X.x

Oh! I love watching male fights! so entertaining! it's kinda like watching a human guy fight except...men don't have erect dorsal fins and are biting each others buts and smacking each other... lol

Don't worry I'm sure they will ^^ and if not...like jrp said, get a new male and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom