breeding platys and white cloud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
just a question for the future. i only have a 30l tank( i will be going alot bigger in the future) im still a beginner and dont want to go too big too soon.
i have 2 platys and 2 white clouds. i only have artificial plants. i was just wondering whether my fish would ever be able to breed and drop eggs in artificial plants.
im not breeding. im just curious.
thanks for your time guys.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The platies are live bearers so the type of plants doesn't really matter in my experience. White clouds are egg scatterers so I would advise getting moss.

thanks for the reply.
im very new to this. does this moss come in different sizes?

You can get different types of moss, the most readily available and cheapest type is Java Moss. My LFS is overpriced and they sell it by the handful for $8. That is also the most recommended type of moss for breeding white clouds. I would suggest getting more white clouds, suggested a half a dozen, to reduce stress and have a more likely chance of having a male and female.

thankyou for your help kittkat and bettaowner

No problem! My pleasure :) I have been in your shoes and I'm now passing on the help I got.

thankyou so much. i want to learn as much as possible. :)

Even Christmas moss would be great for them as well .

I've had White Cloud minnows breed, eggs have hatched, and fry have developed without issue in tank sparsly planted tank without moss. IME they do better and reproduce more often in an unheated tank with decent, but not heavy flow. the fry tend to converge in an out of the way area of the tank.

change of subject. does anyone know is white clouds change colour? i turnt my light on when i came home from work and my white cloud minnow is normally silver but it was a light silvery pink colour. i did a 30% water change and he went back to his silver colour. is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom