Breeding plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think adding airstone would b good the other fish wont mind it either it will really get thatvwater moving... my bristlenoses spawned for the first time after we did a massive water change because the driftwood we got made the water go a funny colour now i no that doesnt harm them but we thought it did so we did a massive water change and apparently doing anywherr from a 50-75% water change can induce spawning as well

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Their first spawn may not amount to much because they are still learning but they will get there... if u notice your male has disappeared and only coming out for very brief periods and then disappearing dont disturb him as he will be guarding eggs just try to drop his food close to were he is hiding so he doesnt have to go far to get it

I will be getting some ABNs and standard bns for my 55 gallon. I was about to order a Hydor koralia nano 250 GPH power head, should I go stronger?
I have a volcano bubbler, can filter with dual biowheel, and hob filter. I think oxygen is covered.
At this moment I plan on doing plecos and angels. I love the Plecos, the angels will be for my fiance and daughter. When I can upgrade lights I will be planting but atm I have just one Anubias. Three pieces of driftwood.

If u want to breed the bristlenoses angels arent a good tank mate the will snack on the fry once start free swimming.. bristlenoses just like strong water flow so if ur water is well agitated they will be happy.. on the other hand angels quite like slow current and can get a bit stressed with strong current.. i have angels and they didnt seem to mind the.strong current but our adult one seems to shy away from it..

I really like bristlenoses pleco aswell and im an angel fan to so i can see why you would want them both

Hm, so if I spot them early I could remove and place in my 30 gal? It'll be a while before I get to the breeding considering I haven't even gotten them yet, but knowledge and preparation are key. How fragile are fry when it comes to moving to another tank? Better off moving angels?
Or maybe better off with what tank mate if the Plecos breed

Umm u could possibly move the fry before they hatch and take the dad with them cause he protects them.. the fry dont seem to fragile but it is a mission to get them out once they r free swimming we moved from auckland to hamilton (about a 2 hour drive away) and emptied our tank and.moved all our fish including the babies and they survived being put in a bucket and sat in.the car for 2 hours but once they all went into.the tank they went straight to the glass and our angels had a feast wr did how ever have a few survivours so i think.the fry r pretty hardy but for.the easier optiom.i.would move the eggs and dad to a new tank or move the angels... angels and bristlenoses are fine tank mates but once they get a chance to eat the fry they will like most bigger fish...

Bristlenoses have quite hard skin so they are protected from being.eaten to a point... as long.as they arent disturbed the fry will hide until the are bigger anyway but that can be hard when u need to do water changes etc

I wouldnt be put off by getting angels they are pretty fish and can.be quite playful my adult angel who i lve had from.the beginning.always greets me.at the.front.of the.tank and will follow my finger and he quite likes to chase flies the land on the tank it is quite entertaining..

U could always put the angels in a tank of their own and could put something else with the bristlenoses so you.can.get the best of both worlds..

Bristlenose fry dont tend to like lights on so you.probably wont see them until the lights are off and maybr.extend the amont.of time you have the lights off for if you can

Thanks for the insight :) I can't wait to get them! However I have to lol. I have some powerheads, heater, and filter being shipped to me. Just noticed my heater has what looks like corrosion on the inside of it but it is still working ATM. Hoping it makes it 5-9 business days till the next gets here. Then the stocking begins.

Thanks for the insight :) I can't wait to get them! However I have to lol. I have some powerheads, heater, and filter being shipped to me. Just noticed my heater has what looks like corrosion on the inside of it but it is still working ATM. Hoping it makes it 5-9 business days till the next gets here. Then the stocking begins.

Replace heater if it looks like the seal is broken. You don't want to shock yourself or your fish.

Cycled with fish in but no fish for two days. Rehomed tiger oscar and Gromneys. They did well for 5 weeks before rehoming.

I actually bought the tank with minimal knowledge and it came with fish. I quickly buried myself in fish information and didn't find out the full deal of cycling until I already had them running for a couple weeks. I knew of the cycle but not about starting a cycle. I just lucked out and the fish didn't suffer, which is good because I quickly got attached to oscar

I've had both my bristlenose plecos from being about an inch or so and my female has recently begun to turn a darker colour around her stomach could this be a sign that she is getting ready to spawn?

It could be but also could b her just changing her colour... i dont remember colour changes in mine

That was my first thought but she seems to have turned a darker colour all over an then slightly darker around her stomach so just thought I'd check

Mine would do that alot.. if she is darkerbon the stomach it could b that she is getting ready to release eggs.. i would cut down on light exposure that could also help

Back
Top Bottom