Breeding plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover5297

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm hoping to breed my bristlenose plecos soon and was wondering if the male is already staking out his cave, storing food and is 2.7 inch then can he breed with an albino female that is only 1.9-2 inch or will she have to grow? she has no bristles and the male is clearly a male as he has bristles up his nose and is starting to get bristles on the other bristles when my male was the same size as the albino is now he had already begun to grow bristles so will she definitely be a female and if so can they breed now or do they have to be the same size?

I do not know the answer to your question. But I just purchased some ABNs and am wondering what size PVC would be best to keep in the tank. Figured that question would go good on this thread.

My Plecos were fully grown at 2.5" for male and 3" for female before they started breeding. Mind you, I've only had one set of babies and still have 5 left at 1". I sold all the rest recently.

Mine laid eggs on the glass of the tank but this is highly unusual. I did not give them a cave to breed because I wasn't interested in breeding.

From a logical standpoint, I would say a 2" diameter PVC would be good for them to breed in. If you can, get a clear PVC piece so you can see them. It's quite a sight.

If you are interested, you can see my writeup of my new pleco babies here:

Albino Bristlenose Pleco eggs and babies

IMG_0400.JPG

Beautiful photo and good read. You think they would still feel secure in the clear PVC?

Beautiful photo and good read. You think they would still feel secure in the clear PVC?

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. If you are just starting to breed, I think it doesn't hurt to try. As you can see, my plecos laid on the walls of my tank underneath the moss net.

Browm bristlenoses will breed with the albino my golden bristlenose and brown one bred like crazy and a friend of mine had a brown one and albino one breed breeding started for me once i put driftwood in the tank and my.female would have been.about 2-2.5inches

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My male is brown but my female is albino and I have a chunk of driftwood in my tank already to weigh down a plant would that be enough? And is there another way you can tell if the female is full of eggs other than if she gets rounder?

In my experience my female got really fat and when up on the glass would look really wide and she will get grumpy.and.chase the male away.. any amount.of driftwood should be fine again only going by what i havr done and as long.as they have a nice dark spot were other fish cant fit they will lay and as long as the water conditions are good and ph is netueral to acidic u should b away sailing. :-

Did you feed her anything special or did she just get really fat on her own?

No nothng special they were fed JBL novo pleco wafers thats all they ate... she will fatten up by herself just make sure she has plenty of places hide especially if you have other fish in your tank...

Some were dark brown with white spots some.were dark brown with gold spots and the others were a lighter brown with either white or gold spots they did lool pretty cool i decided to keep my favourite one and we called him lucky..

So there was a mixed variety? And my female is about 2 inch now whilst my male is between 2.5-2.7 inch so will they breed if she is smaller than him?

Im not to sure i dont think she will care if he bigger if shes ready i think mine.were roughly the same size when they started.. oh they thrive in strong currents and like decent amounts of oxygen

I already have a waterfall filter would it be worth getting an airstone too?

Back
Top Bottom