Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

breeding/qt tank

My Molly and swordtail have both given birth recently and now my tank is full of fry, so I'm considering buying one of them kids fish tanks to put them in. I'm assuming I'm goin to have to cycle it first aren't i? Also what kind of heater and filter would I need for such a small tank?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fry are very delicate so if I were you I would use water from your main tank in a 5G and simply put in a small filter (or powerhead) with a sponge on the intake to make sure you don't suck up any fry. It won't require anything powerful.

Also I would buy a cheap small filter and put the media in your main tanks filter for a week or two to mature, then put the filter in your fry tank once they are a little bigger.

Just be sure not to overfeed the fry or your tank will get polluted, maybe hatch some baby brine shrimp and use that as food. Although for the first few days they probably won't require any. And crush up the flake food of course.

I am no expert on the subject but this is what I have done in the past, never failed.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also you can get heaters at the pet store rated for any aquarium size, just get one to match the fry tank and they will automatically set to the right temp.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi dudeofrude I see you live round the corner from me lol. I got one of them kids tanks from b&m in town for £10 and got a small heater for it for £17. I used the water from one of my big tanks and raised my fry in there for a couple of weeks and they did great. I thought the little tank was just the right size so the fry didn't have a huge space to search for food plus I could vac the gravel without losing the fry down the drain lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool cheers, yeah that tank in b&m was the one I was thinking of buying. The fry are ok now they have adjusted well to the big tank but looks like I have more on the way so I best invest lol
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I thought the fish was going to drop lol I just put her in there till she had her fry then put her back after so I didn't have to search and catch the fry from one of my big tanks. It made life loads easier lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have around 70 swordtails and around 70 platties in a little bow front tank and 2 of my female guppies are pregnant too lol
Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah makes more sense.l lol
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why not get net breeders for your fry? Don't have to cycle any additional tank.

Whatever you do do it fast before your fry get eaten
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did have a breeding net for the fry at first but then I felt sorry for them for being in a small place so I got 1 of them little tanks lol.

Tags
breed, breeding, qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com