Breeding rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUEaquarium06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will any type of rainbowfish breed? Can you make hybrids? Has anyone tried before?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hybrids are tricky, but all I know for sure is that rainbows are easy to breed but their fry are insanely difficult to care for.

I was thinking about breeding australian rainbows and boesemani rainbows because I think the outcome would be really cool

Okay sorry for the bad picture, but this guy is fast and camera shy, but I just wanted to check, I'm lime 99% sure this is a male, am I correct? I just got him so his colors are a little dull and he's kind of young

Attachments

• 1407333343949.jpg
    1407333343949.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 67
Even with the bad picture I can tell he's a male by the colors lol, females are much more bland. When you go to get an australian rainbow try to get one that isn't as boxy-shaped and has a more reflective silver tone in general.

Here are the Australian rainbows what are their sexes?

Attachments

• 1407349562766.jpg
    1407349562766.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 65
Hard to say, they look like a mix but honestly with four of them, chances are that one is a female. The second one from the left looks like a female for sure though.

Should i separate them and just get the boesemani and a female australian together or should i keep them in the school the way they are, they're in a 100 gallon tank, half is HEAVILY planted, the other half is all like the pictures, very open

for the safety of the fry and eggs I would have the eggs laid in a completely different tank with either a sponge filter or just an air stone.

Here is a slightly better picture of him, he's starting to get some color. But he's way to young to mate correct?

Oops forgot the picture haha

Attachments

• 1407419466832.jpg
    1407419466832.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom