Breeding Ram and Plecos In The Same Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phyco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, as far as i know there is no other existing thread on this site about this topic.

I really need to know whether it is possible to breed German Blue Ram with other tank mates such as Bristlenose Plecos and Guppies, and also the other way round, for example would it be okay to have a breeding pair of BN Plecos and Ram in the same tank, the tank will be a 30 Gallon long. Also if it does work will it affect my results of offspring? will the parents abandon their eggs? or will it all work perfectly as i know both species are good at parenting. As for the Guppies if they do breed will the Ram and the Plecos eat their fry?

I know its alot of questions but any help would be appreciated,
Thank you

The German rams as well as bristlenose plecos will eat the guppy babies. The guppy parents will also likely eat their own offspring if not separated.
Both the German and Bolivian rams are good parents and will take on any creature that comes close to their nest.
The guppies wouldn't get the ram babies but the B. Pleco might. I had a breeding pair of Bolivian rams. The parents could hold off all tankmates except my dull eyed royal Pleco, which would wipe out the whole bunch.
B, Plecos are much smaller and less aggressive than most Pleco. You might have a chance with them.
I've never had a pair of breeding Plecos. No experience with their parenting behavior. Hope this helps.

Hi, as far as i know there is no other existing thread on this site about this topic.

I really need to know whether it is possible to breed German Blue Ram with other tank mates such as Bristlenose Plecos and Guppies, and also the other way round, for example would it be okay to have a breeding pair of BN Plecos and Ram in the same tank, the tank will be a 30 Gallon long. Also if it does work will it affect my results of offspring? will the parents abandon their eggs? or will it all work perfectly as i know both species are good at parenting. As for the Guppies if they do breed will the Ram and the Plecos eat their fry?

I know its alot of questions but any help would be appreciated,
Thank you
Terrible idea. Rams are extremely sensitive and if you can even get them to the point if putting eggs where you can physically retrieve and remove to a rearing box, good luck rearing. Pleco can drop 100 poo machines and you may not even see them right away. Bad idea. Basic research into breeding either will lead you to.... well.. just Google it please.
The German rams as well as bristlenose plecos will eat the guppy babies. The guppy parents will also likely eat their own offspring if not separated.
Both the German and Bolivian rams are good parents and will take on any creature that comes close to their nest.
The guppies wouldn't get the ram babies but the B. Pleco might. I had a breeding pair of Bolivian rams. The parents could hold off all tankmates except my dull eyed royal Pleco, which would wipe out the whole bunch.
B, Plecos are much smaller and less aggressive than most Pleco. You might have a chance with them.
I've never had a pair of breeding Plecos. No experience with their parenting behavior. Hope this helps.
I'll give you $100 If you can provide evidence of a pleco eating a healthy, free swimming anything.

Brookster123, I don't need your money, lol. But certain varieties of Pleco, In particular the common type can latch on to other fish, kill and consume.
Had one latch onto a free swimming adult Angel fish, then drag it under a tank decoration. It was too late to save the Angel.
Most Pleco types can eat newborn fry if they swim close enough to grab and certain Pleco can wipe out entire cichlid nests.
Of course probably not a red terror cichlid nest but surely a German rams.

Ahhh... bs... a properly fed, properly housed pleco will never aggressively pursue live food in home Aquaria. I keep all types. Venture as far to say that a happy pleco is a pleco you may see once a month.. whatever though.. If your carnivorous catfish get views than have at it

Rasping on slime coat and "eating" the fish are separate acts. Pleco will eat dead fish or any fish that cannot swim away from them. They are not predatory in the way that an Oscar is, they're opportunistic feeders.

back to the point, could you guys recommend any fish that would get along with bristlenoses or any i can breed along side a breeding pair of bristlenoses?

back to the point, could you guys recommend any fish that would get along with bristlenoses or any i can breed along side a breeding pair of bristlenoses?
It's not ideal, if you want to breed dwarf cichlids than set them up in a species only tank. Plecos will get their eggs or stress the parents out trying to get the eggs. Most other fish will go after free swimming fry which will also stress the parents out.

okay well are there any other fish that could go in the aquarium along with bristlenoses that may benefit the tank?

Yah, pretty much anything that is suitable for 30 gallon tank will be fine with the bn, I'm just speaking toward the breeding end. I don't know what you mean by "benefit the tank"?? Get something you like to look at??

like would clean it or help with water parameters or doesn't produce as much waste etc, i was thinking of corydoras but i dont know because they would keep the substrate clean but its another bottom feeder

Research convict cichlids. A breeding pair would be fine in your 30 gallon tank. I tend a 29 gal. Tank with a breeding pair. They spawn regularly and tenaciously guard their offspring.
Convicts are a lot tougher than rams, don't cost very much, and are readily available. Good luck.

do convict have to have any specific water parameters or need special water care? because i have moderately hard water it limits the amount of fish i can have according to my LFS, my water hardness is 16 DGH

Convicts are terrible.. What are you going to do with the fry? It's just going to be a chaotic little tank.. unless that's what you want??

Brookster123 is right, convicts are prolific breeders. They are a good looking fish, and easy to raise.
My water is hard and the convicts thrive In It.
You were interested in breeding rams. You would have to deal with the ram fry too. My convicts raise their offspring for a few weeks, then abandon them, leaving them to the mercy of their tank mates. There is no mercy in the fish world.
In order to have tank raised fry to survive at some point you probably will have to separate them, grow them out, sell or re-home them.
You might keep a few of the best ones if you have enough space in your tank.

You'd be lucky to "deal" with ram fry, that's like a full house against a 7,2... rams are always in demand, people kill them and want more! Not to sound rude but breeding rams is extremely difficult and you're not doing it unless you are totally into it and willing to spend the time and money, also doing the research helps to.. breeding convicts is like walking down stairs for most people.. breeding rams is like falling down the stairs you walk down every day. (Think statistics)

Last edited:
Do not breed convicts, you can't give them away, you may could pay people to take them, but that defeats the purpose. Same concept with mutt guppies, why bother? If you spent the Money on quality breeder guppies I'd wager you wouldn't be housing them with other fish. If you aren't willing to breed them right then don't bother. Same advice for rams.

Back
Top Bottom