Breeding Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 tall set up with otos, pygmy cories, snails, and rcs. I have live plants as well. I got 4 rcs to start me out. I added aragonite to the filter because I had almost no calcium gh or kh (forgot which one it was) I added 1 full cup. My rcs dont appear to have eggs. I have a hard time seeing the saddle but I am almost certain I have both genders. Maybe Im simply being impatient Ive only had them about 4 days but can anyone give me some breeding tips?
Thanks and God bless!

It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure if you just wait it will happen. Raising your gh and kh sounds like a good idea. From memory, the females are larger and brighter red. When they are full of eggs, you will know and see them quite easily. You can often see the females bristling their underbelly and opening up their pouches. Give them a few plants and some java moss and wait a couple of weeks. It will happen.

It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure if you just wait it will happen. Raising your gh and kh sounds like a good idea. From memory, the females are larger and brighter red. When they are full of eggs, you will know and see them quite easily. You can often see the females bristling their underbelly and opening up their pouches. Give them a few plants and some java moss and wait a couple of weeks. It will happen.
Ok thanks! they have plants but not java moss. Is that a 100% need?

Unless you don't want your baby shrimps to be eaten by other fish, then yes :)

Are Pygmy cories and otos the only fish in the tank? What else is in there?

If it's just Pygmy cories and otto cats, then it should be safe for them.

But just in case, I'd still add some kind of cover or plant for them to hide in.

Are Pygmy cories and otos the only fish in the tank? What else is in there?

If it's just Pygmy cories and otto cats, then it should be safe for them.

But just in case, I'd still add some kind of cover or plant for them to hide in.
Thats all that is in there. I have some live plants. One is a floating plant.

Well then I think the shrimp should survive :)

Just let nature take it's course, it'll happen sooner or later ;)

ok thanks yall. I would add more but my LFS is out...

I have 2 pregnant RCS, Im again waiting for the little critters to be born lol you can see that both females have this huge batch of eggs under their bellies, now Im just waiting t get a welcome surprise one of these mornings :)

Two of mine have "saddles" now!!! I am stoked but kinda dissappointed that they havent dropped yet. lol

Goodluck with your shrimp and keep us updated! :)

Well I think 2 have saddles. Is it normal for a female to have almost no color?

This evening when I did a water change in my nano tank.....6 baby RCS, yes I know they are common shrimp and easy to breed but still over the moon, having my first baby shrimp.

Sweet warthog! I bought 3 more (one already berried). The one is about to have her eggs hatch but the others wioth saddles wont drop their eggs!

Back
Top Bottom