Breeding Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxiwilliams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys,
I was just wondering if I could have a few tips about breeding red cherry shrimp as we'll as ghost shrimp?! This will be my first spawn and I have the necessary tank setup to do so, I was just in need of a few handy tips and kind of a step by step procedure to breed shrimp! thanks guys ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With the ghosties, I would use a tank with a air bubbler, but if you have them in a tank with a normal filter like the top fins and penguins and such, I would put mesh like panty hoes around the suction head of the filter, as the baby ghost shrimp are larva and they float in the water column. With the RCS they are just miniatures of their parents, just put a lot of plants like java moss in the tank with the pregnant femal.

okay awesome, so filter wise what is ideal for RCS? and is a heater required for them!?

I have mine in a 20 gal with a penguin 150. You just need a filter that is efficient for your tanks bioload, I would recommend plants like java moss so the cherries that are having babies can have shelter

yes that's nice, okay I already have those plants about 15-20degrees

Ghost shrimp shrimp lets are 90% of the time impossible to rear. They may require salt water at a pint but I could be confusing that with Ammano shrimp.

Ghost shrimp or grass shrimp can be found in estuaries, depending on the species. So that salinity can vary. http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldguide/critter/common_grass_shrimp

That depends on the species, there are a few native to the US. Most ghost shrimp are wild caught or pond raised in the south and the two most abundant species are freshwater.

As for breeding ghost shrimp the larva require a lot of single celled foods(greenwater) and the adults would have to be removed if done in the aquarium. The best method of breeding is to use an outdoor pond of some sort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom