Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
Breeding Rosy Barbs?

So after a lot of researching on Rosy Barbs and after I bought 4 of the very pretty fish (2 females, 2 males) I've decided save some money and breed them to finish their little school, then I can go on with my other ideas of fish.
But I don't really want to buy another another filter, my tank is about 15 gal (about 60 litres?) and I have another tank with one Rosy Barb (I know they're better off in larger schools but my sister wants her own tank with her own fish and I promised to get her my 'babies', and she's agreed to move her Rosy Barb in my tank while mine breed in her little tank). Would they be okay breeding without a filter and heater? We've had Rosy Barbs for about 10 years without a heater so I'm guessing the heater part would be fine?

Regards,
cosybarb
__________________

__________________
cosybarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,112
Considering that a healthy Rosy Barb can have 100-200 eggs and then fry, a 15 gal tank will not be big enough to house all them to grow out. It's better to breed them in a separate tank as they will eat their own eggs if you don't remove the parent after they spawn. Otherwise, it's just luck if you get some to survive in the community tank.
So yes, depending on the tank temp, you may need a heater but you will definitely need another filter. I suggest an air driven sponge filter for the fry until they are large enough to go into your other tank.

Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tropical Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
If you don't want to keep that many fry, you could always let the parents eat the extra eggs and just raise 4-5....


Just an idea.
__________________
Tropical Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
If you don't want to keep that many fry, you could always let the parents eat the extra eggs and just raise 4-5....


Just an idea.
No of course not, but I'm also not entirely against a bit of pocket money.
__________________
cosybarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Considering that a healthy Rosy Barb can have 100-200 eggs and then fry, a 15 gal tank will not be big enough to house all them to grow out. It's better to breed them in a separate tank as they will eat their own eggs if you don't remove the parent after they spawn. Otherwise, it's just luck if you get some to survive in the community tank.
So yes, depending on the tank temp, you may need a heater but you will definitely need another filter. I suggest an air driven sponge filter for the fry until they are large enough to go into your other tank.

Hope this helps.
Thank you
__________________
cosybarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tropical Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosybarb View Post
No of course not, but I'm also not entirely against a bit of pocket money.

Yeah you could definitely make a bit of money, but you may need a bigger tank if you're planning on raising many fry....

Also if you decide to breed them, get a good fry food as well as a brine shrimp hatchery. The fry need much more protein then is typically available in adult fish foods.
__________________
Tropical Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
Yeah you could definitely make a bit of money, but you may need a bigger tank if you're planning on raising many fry....

Also if you decide to breed them, get a good fry food as well as a brine shrimp hatchery. The fry need much more protein then is typically available in adult fish foods.
I'm getting a tank about 100 litres given to me by my uncle- he's had a lot of tanks over the years. Would I be able to feed fry ground up flakes (with a mortar)? If not what kind of fry food would you recommend?
__________________
cosybarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosybarb View Post
I'm getting a tank about 100 litres given to me by my uncle- he's had a lot of tanks over the years. Would I be able to feed fry ground up flakes (with a mortar)? If not what kind of fry food would you recommend?
Barb fry are very small so you will need to feed them infusoria for the first week(s). This can be done by making green water or using Liquidfry for egglayers. Once you get past that first week or so, you can switch to decap brine shrimp and/or first bites. The issue with ground adult foods is that it is not high enough in nutrition for growth so you need a growth food over ground adult food if you want healthier fish.
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
barb, barbs, breed, breeding, rosy barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rosy barb v/s long-tail rosy barb amitnarain Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 08-16-2005 07:49 PM
HELP!!! My Rosy Barbs are breeding! AlonelyCody Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 2 02-19-2004 10:35 AM
ROSY BARBS??? @HOME Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 01-28-2004 05:56 PM
Guppies and Rosy Barbs xplanes Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 08-09-2003 04:13 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.