Breeding setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im interested in maybe starting some sort of breeding operation to make some money. Seams reasonable right?
Platies v. Guppies or any other suggestions? Maybe plecos? What is easiest to breed?
I would like to keep it simple easy to breed easy to care for.
A couple of tanks for fry and a bigger tank for breeding adults all on some sort of shelf unit.

IMO livebearers are always the easiest to breed and care for, no encouraging required. They just need good clean water, good temp, and fed well and they will do their own thing.
Not sure that you will make much money off of them though

I think, depending on your experience if you get a pair of rams you could make a bit of money. Bristle nose plecos. Where I love you won't get anything for livebearer babies.

Ok I am going to have to ask my LFS what they would buy from me. What do you think about tanks? How many? Gallons?

This is just my opinion but I always believe in three tanks when it comes to livebearers
One tank for the females (which is usually the community tank)(any size)
One for the males (to contain them so breeding doesn't get out of control)(10G)
And one for the nursery tank (for the fry)(10G)

butterfly_koi said:
This is just my opinion but I always believe in three tanks when it comes to livebearers
One tank for the females (which is usually the community tank)(any size)
One for the males (to contain them so breeding doesn't get out of control)(10G)
And one for the nursery tank (for the fry)(10G)

Couldn't agree more. Then when the babies are older you can divide them into their sexes and start it all again.

That's a good idea but when do you mix the females and males? Should I only stick to one type or something?

It depends if you want to breed strains of guppies. Best thing to do is put 1m to 2 females in the fry tank, either do strains or whatever colour you like. Let them do their thing, remove the male and keep the females in the tank. Once they drop the fry remove them.

FreshwaterTropical said:
Im interested in maybe starting some sort of breeding operation to make some money. Seams reasonable right?
Platies v. Guppies or any other suggestions? Maybe plecos? What is easiest to breed?
I would like to keep it simple easy to breed easy to care for.
A couple of tanks for fry and a bigger tank for breeding adults all on some sort of shelf unit.

If I had a nickel for every time I contemplated doing this. I'll lay down my original plan for my online AquaShop.

Two 10g tank for various breeding
One 5.5g for smaller species.
One 40g long for grow out and plant growth (also for sale)

I will tell you this. Anything that is easy to breed, most likely won't get you money. Only exception would be either some crazy color morph Platy or even easier some high quality Endler's. In order to make money, you need to breed unique fish really. Rams or Apistos would be good.

I wish you luck, but don't be surprised if it doesn't pan out as far as making money. Who knows though, maybe you'll be the next Severum Mama and HN1!

Predfan27 said:
If I had a nickel for every time I contemplated doing this. I'll lay down my original plan for my online AquaShop.

Two 10g tank for various breeding
One 5.5g for smaller species.
One 40g long for grow out and plant growth (also for sale)

I will tell you this. Anything that is easy to breed, most likely won't get you money. Only exception would be either some crazy color morph Platy or even easier some high quality Endler's. In order to make money, you need to breed unique fish really. Rams or Apistos would be good.

I wish you luck, but don't be surprised if it doesn't pan out as far as making money. Who knows though, maybe you'll be the next Severum Mama and HN1!

Severum mumma is really good at shipping and stuff. Her and hn1 are a team and all their products are high quality. I think they Make quite a bit of money off that because they breed lots of different fish.

Samzter said:
Severum mumma is really good at shipping and stuff. Her and hn1 are a team and all their products are high quality. I think they Make quite a bit of money off that because they breed lots of different fish.

Agreed! Customer service can also be a selling point, and Severum Mama has got that down to a science.

If I were you, I would see if your LFS will give you money for fish, and what kind. Then do your research and ask some questions!

Predfan27 said:
Agreed! Customer service can also be a selling point, and Severum Mama has got that down to a science.

If I were you, I would see if your LFS will give you money for fish, and what kind. Then do your research and ask some questions!

Yes that is a good idea. Mine don't give anything for fish but I have found a guy who owns a fish shop and he needs stock because he got really sick fish from a supplier! Aha he is my chance! Lol

I am inspired to breed guppies to trade for store credit. Most stores here will take fish.

No pics cuz I never got it set up but as I stated earlier.

40g long grow out and plant growing
Multiple 10g or 5.5g tanks for individual specie breed setups.

This can easily be set up on a standard iron 55g frame that you can find from PetCo or PetSuppliesPlus.

Also you may need to do some research on the certain types of filtration that is needed. Some filtration will suck up fry!

Back
Top Bottom