Breeding shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovey_Jove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heeey I have 8 shrimps in my 20 litre wondering how to breed them? Is it just a matter of luck ?

They could be to young to breed yet, and you need males and females. :) The females are more colorful and larger. The females will get a saddle just before they are ready to breed. Sounds like you have RCS and they will breed with each other and the shrimplets won"t have color. How long have you had them, pH, is the tank cycled?

I had 2 orange for a month, then I got 1 red one yellow a week ago, then I got one red one, a yellow one, and two nice orange one yesterday, and strangely one of my yellows died found it dead in my 5 gallon tank, have a feeling my beta killed it but he's very peaceful, or could be my water I ordered my master kit should be coming dis week, you think I should leave my dead one in there ?

Remove the dead shrimp, it will foul your water. Can you move your betta, you may end up with no shrimp. Can you have your water tested at a LFS? Shrimp should be alone or with other small peaceful nano fish. Until you get your test kits I would change 50% of the water daily. Your shrimp are probably stressed with the betta.

Why 50 percent daily I have had datt tank for over 4 months I do a 20 percent change every 2 weeks I think my beta killed it but I don't have no we're to put him ATM

If you have never tested the water, which is sounds like, ammonia could be present along with nitrites and high nitrates. That why I suggest the large daily water changes. I have a five gallon planted shrimp tank and I test once a week and do two 30% water changes a week. In a small tank water quality can go down hill fast. You may want to consider keeping just the betta OR shrimp. If your betta killed one shrimp he will most likely kill the others to. Good luck!

Hello.
You have a 20 litre tank with 8 shrimps and one betta? Your water change regime is fine. Those tiny creatures are not gonna stress the filter!

The red cherry shrinmp will almost certainly breed when they are ready. Keep your eye out for the large, rounder females carrying eggs beneath them. one day, you should find minute babies on the glass and plants, etc. Just increase the food once you have babies and keep up the water changes. Shrimps need excellent filtration and low dissolved solids

Hello.
You have a 20 litre tank with 8 shrimps and one betta? Your water change regime is fine. Those tiny creatures are not gonna stress the filter!

The red cherry shrinmp will almost certainly breed when they are ready. Keep your eye out for the large, rounder females carrying eggs beneath them. one day, you should find minute babies on the glass and plants, etc. Just increase the food once you have babies and keep up the water changes. Shrimps need excellent filtration and low dissolved solids

Until he can test the water daily water changes should be done. Sounds like the water has never been tested for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. That is the reason I said daily 50% water changes. And if he thinks it was the betta that killed his shrimp then he needs to choose the betta or the shrimp or get another small tank. :)

Until he can test the water daily water changes should be done. Sounds like the water has never been tested for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. That is the reason I said daily 50% water changes. And if he thinks it was the betta that killed his shrimp then he needs to choose the betta or the shrimp or get another small tank. :)

So he should do huge water changes (potentially stressing the fish) every day just because he hasn't tested the water? Sounds absurd to me, how do you think people kept tanks before testing kits?

His tank has been running for 4 months and he currently does regular weekly PWC's, i would say his tank would be cycled, and if it's not that can be dealt with once water has been tested.

Ecxacly they would of all died so ATM I'm just waiting my master kit should arrive tomorrow can't wait, I checked the hardness was a lil too hard so would need to get diluted water, I'm not bothered to make it is there anyway I can get it from somewer ?

That makes no sense, don't stress fish by doing large water changes just because the tank SHOULD be cycled after four months and deal with that AFTER the test kits arrive and water is tested?! The OP stated that it could have been the betta that killed the shrimp or the water. The OP can do what he feels is right, he asked for advice and I gave him advice. Anyone who has fish/aquarium should make it a priority to have test kits to check the water.

Thnx for answering my question, master kit is comming, water I change it every week, put aqua safe and live bacteria, the shrimp I think the beta killed it, cuz the head was missing of the shrimp plus I bought 7 shrimps yday let's see how it gets on :) so in total 14 I think !! But water is fine just abit hard is the hardness inportant ?

Thnx for answering my question, master kit is comming, water I change it every week, put aqua safe and live bacteria, the shrimp I think the beta killed it, cuz the head was missing of the shrimp plus I bought 7 shrimps yday let's see how it gets on :) so in total 14 I think !! But water is fine just abit hard is the hardness inportant ?

Hardness is important. I believe if the hardness is too low or high then it can interfere with successful molting. I've had several shrimp die shortly after molting.

What's the best way to make hardness go down ? Easiest way

Back
Top Bottom