breeding silver dollar fish HELP PLZ!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlsven2k5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so i was watching my two silver dollars and i noticed the male is very strongly colored red. so a few moments later is see that the two our "shimmying" next to each other! what does this mean? will she lay eggs an if so how long do we have cause we want to put them in a seperate tank before our other fish eat them....please help!!

best too purchase half dozen juvenile silver dollars and raise them together.
although the parents will not consume the eggs or fry, other fish will,
so when spawning them it is wise to place them in a separate tank.
to help spawning, make sure the water is soft 8 dgH or below and warm 80 to 82 F
keep the lighting dim, and provide fine leafed plants
Eventually a pair will spawn, and the female will lay up to 2000 eggs. The eggs will fall to the bottom of the tank, where they will hatch in approx three days. After approx a week, the fry will be free swimming and able to eat fine foods such as commercially prepared finely crushed spirulina, or freshly hatched brine shrimp /fry food

My wife had posted the orignal post and after I began researching the sexing of silver dollars from the best I can tell they are both males. Is it normal for two males to attempt to mate? I may be wrong, But they both apear to be males I included pics for others to help identify.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I think you might have 2 females but it might be too early to tell. Males usually have more red on there anal fin and it gets more red as they get closer to breeding. I see nearly no red on the anal fin. I also hear you can ID there sex by looking at there anal fins. Males have rounder anal fins while females have more pointed anal fins. Depending on size/age it could be too early for them to breed but it could be female/male.

Back
Top Bottom