Breeding Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I wanted to have a crack at breeding nerite & mystery snails, what would I need to start off?

Minimum tank size?
Filter?
Heater?
Gravel/Sand?

Forget nerites, the eggs hatch into a larval stage that doesn't survive in aquariums. Mystery snails covers a broad range of species, requirements depend on whether they lay their eggs above or below the water surface.

I believe nerite snail fry can survive in an aquarium, but they require brackish water to do so.

Can MTS live in brackish tanks? Any info on breeding them greatly appreciated too.

Planning a puffer DT with sand and want to make sure my plan to have a cuc and food source is going to work.

TIA

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I believe nerite snail fry can survive in an aquarium, but they require brackish water to do so.
No one had ever kept them alive long enough to grow into snails in a home aquarium.

MTS usually live in brackish, pretty much anything up to full salt. Puffers usually prefer thinner-shelled snails for eating, MTS have very hard shells to break.

My MTS in my brackish tank have grown at like 10 times the rate as my MTS in FW tanks. Wierd huh? Breeding nerites is considered virtually impossible, though some hobbyists do report success. I plan on moving some into my brackish tank (I would have already but I'm waiting until I upgrade the tank soon) and I'd love to see some babies but I'm not counting on it. They will not reproduce in freshwater for sure. For mystery snails (which are really apple snails) try applesnail.net for some breeding info.

No one had ever kept them alive long enough to grow into snails in a home aquarium.

MTS usually live in brackish, pretty much anything up to full salt. Puffers usually prefer thinner-shelled snails for eating, MTS have very hard shells to break.

Ramshorns would be perfect but I'm guessing you'd have to keep them in a FW tank and then throw them in to feed the puffers....do you know if that is the case? I wouldn't expect them to be able to withstand the salt and be able to reproduce in brackish.

Back
Top Bottom