Breeding snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha well what type of snails??

They were mystery snails from petsmart. For a while I would transfer them to.my cichlid tanks.and they disappeared. Then finaly got tired and broke system down.

joejeff said:
They were mystery snails from petsmart. For a while I would transfer them to.my cichlid tanks.and they disappeared. Then finaly got tired and broke system down.

The ones I transferred disappeared that is

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ohhh that sucks. Well im hoping that mine dot get too out of control! Haha

Yep. But good news is, they are easy to breed lol.

Mumma.of.two said:
If you don't want them to breed all you have to do is look out for egg sacks above the water line, scrape them off, freeze them, then put them in the garbage.

Solid advice. I have kept fish for yrs. Just now joined a forum. In a few wks have learned more than I have through yrs of mistakes lol

Bright pink eggs? or mushy plastic toy?

Hello all,
This is my first post. I joined because of a thread about mystery snails. I have 2. They have been frequently entwined. I didn't know what to expect. One day when I raised the hinged plastic cover for feeding, I found a mushy magenta blob hanging from it. It most resembled one of my 4 year old daughters globby plastic toys and she has a history of messing with the tank. So, I cleaned it off with a paper towel. I found that I had to wipe the whole of the inside of the cover as it was covered with red slime. Then I closely examined the mess in the paper towel, it had no smell and seemed to be composed of tiny round balls. Then it dawned on me, they could be snail eggs!
I wiped some of them back on to where they were with my finger. A few days later they were gone and I didn't see any in the tank. I'm afraid the snails may have consumed the remaining eggs because I contaminated them with my finger. I would appreciate any comments anyone would care to post. :thanks:

Hello all,
This is my first post. I joined because of a thread about mystery snails. I have 2. They have been frequently entwined. I didn't know what to expect. One day when I raised the hinged plastic cover for feeding, I found a mushy magenta blob hanging from it. It most resembled one of my 4 year old daughters globby plastic toys and she has a history of messing with the tank. So, I cleaned it off with a paper towel. I found that I had to wipe the whole of the inside of the cover as it was covered with red slime. Then I closely examined the mess in the paper towel, it had no smell and seemed to be composed of tiny round balls. Then it dawned on me, they could be snail eggs!
I wiped some of them back on to where they were with my finger. A few days later they were gone and I didn't see any in the tank. I'm afraid the snails may have consumed the remaining eggs because I contaminated them with my finger. I would appreciate any comments anyone would care to post. :thanks:

Welcome to the forums. It would be best if you post your question in a new thread. Although this thread was about mystery snails, it is someone else s post and your post is a different issue. You will get a lot more help if you start a new thread!

Back
Top Bottom