breeding snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My newest acquisition is a half inch green spotted puffer we have named Green Goblin. I know that a majority of his diet is going to have to be crustaceans. I want to set up my 3 gallon tank to breed some snails to feed him. Figure this will be easier then going to pets mart all the time. Do I just throw a algae covered stone, a filter and a heater in and then change water weekly? What else would I need for them?

they will need a filter and the algae rock can be substituted for a piece of cucumber or spinach ( anything in a salad works fine) and just do water changes carefully because when snails are babys they cant stay suctioned to the tank against the suction so you may miss that generation

Cool! Good to know. Thanks! Do they need any kind of heater?

Are we talking about pest snails? They don't really need much other than oxygenation/clean water and some food every now and again. I'd keep some live plants in their tank.

You don't have to give them algae if you don't want to. And I've had no problem keeping them in varying temps from the 60s to around 80.

Usually the concern is getting rid of them rather than intentionally growing them.

Yes pest snails I got for free from Petsmart. Probably some random kind of pond snail. I think I have killed some already because I threw them in a tank with just a little water and sat them on my table until I could figure some thing else out. Who knows lol worst case I'll have to go back to Petsmart

Do not put any substrate in the tank. Add a few decor for more surface area for the snails to crawl around. Filter is not needed, but its helpful. The more snails you have in your tank, the more frequent water changes you will have to do. It won't kill the snails if you don't change the snails, but I think they breed faster in cleaner water. Besides the water change, add a airstone if you don't have a filter to aerate the water. They will also breed faster if you keep the water heater rather than cold water.

Back
Top Bottom