breeding tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
would you say a 7g tank is too small to breed neon tetras or tiger barbs ??

would i need bigger tanks for these species of fish ?? :confused:

i have a 20gallon tall for breeding my angel fish but not too sure on the smallest size i can use for the above species i mentioned before

would you say a 7g tank is too small to breed neon tetras or tiger barbs ??

would i need bigger tanks for these species of fish ?? :confused:

i have a 20gallon tall for breeding my angel fish but not too sure on the smallest size i can use for the above species i mentioned before

No for the neons yes for the tiger barbs. Tigers should be in at least a 10 gal since they need to be decent size to spawn. The neons can be done in a 7 gal (That's what we used to use in the 1960s for most tetras) but you need to keep a good amount of plants in the tank for them to spawn in. You will also need a way to protect the eggs from the parents which can be done by lining the bottom of the tank with marbles. (A bigger tank is recommended to help hide the eggs but as I said, we bred them in 7s.)

Just remember with the neons that they are a bit different than most tetras when it comes to breeding. They prefer cooler water.

Feel free to PM me for instructions on either or both fishes (y)

Back
Top Bottom