Breeding Trap ideas for livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah swordtails are insane cannibals, that trap would not work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Amazing , isn't it, that in order to get a good trait, they had to keep a very bad trait in the line. :( I haven't kept swordtails in years and now, I'm rethinking having them at all. :( I love the black ones from years past but I want larger fish with longer swords so it sounds like Montezumas or nothing :( Anyone selling wild swordtails anymore?

In AquaBid there is a seller selling high fin albino red. I bought some juveniles from him and they were huge.

He has same fish on sale daily.

I only bought males from him because I'm using lyretails for females and lyretail males are mostly sterile/cannot breed.

I finally found the best breeding trap.

Look for Penn Plax Nursery in Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002APXM8

It is a contraption that uses air from your air pump to siphon babies into a separate compartment. Worked great for my molly. Got 40 fry on Saturday. Worked great on my 3 inch swordtail. Got 45 fry from her!!!

The product got bad reviews on amazon because the reviewers were (very obviously) novice fish keepers who were angry that the product didn't come with a free air pump. By reading all the negative reviews, I learned that this might actually be the best product on the market for my needs.

I've used a heavily planted tank before which contained java moss and floating Cabomba comprising 80% volume of a 10 gallon tank and I could only rescue 5 to 20 fry that way.

Again this is only necessary for some livebearer species such as albino high fin lyretail koi swordtails who are absolutely crazy killer cannibal moms. If you have guppies and platies then a planted tank will suffice in most cases.

I had another successful birthing this morning. Over 40 fry, possibly over 50. This is from a swordtail mom who killed most of her fry (I found only 11 hiding in the bushes) last month in a heavily planted 10 gallon single fish birthing tank.

Of course by rescuing these fry I am inadvertently propagating the genes responsible for the cannibalism behavior. To eliminate this behavior one would have to throw away any fish that show this behavioral trait, which in my experience is every albino swordtail I've come across since 20+ years ago

Back
Top Bottom