Breeding Tropical Fish Outdoors 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I bough a 35gal hex tank at a yard sale for $10. I filled it up with water and set it in an area with sun in the morning, and shade in the afternoon and evening. I'll put fish in when it gets a little warmer. Right now I'm thinking cherry barbs, guppies, white clouds, or platies/variatus for this one. Let me know what you think I should put in it, whether it be something I listed or something else.

I haven't got plants yet, but I will probably get them this weekend. I will get pictures in the morning!

I'm also planning on setting up several 50 and 100 gal stock tanks. I haven't bought them yet, but I need to soon. For them I'm thinking guppies, white clouds, tiger barbs, rosy barbs, Bolivian Rams, kribs, bristlenose Plecos, mollies, swordtails, platy/variatus, cherry barbs, bettas, gold barbs, Murray river rainbows, bronze/albino corydoras, peppered cories, and possibly angelfish and gouramis.

I probably won't have space for all of those, that's just what I'm considering. Some of those I would need to find adults on Craigslist to breed this summer.

I will try to update this thread at least once a week.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Here are some pics:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430680763.971071.jpg
The water is already starting to turn green!

Fishobsessed7

I have 3 pair of guppies and 3 pair of endlers and in 3 months they have filled a 55 gallon with 50-60 offspring and the offspring are almost ready to start breeding. You live were it's warm? Why ya gonna do with all the fish once it gets cold and your trying to sell all your stock at once because it's to cold to keep them outside any more. Hopefully you live somewhere warm and you won't have to worry about any of that but just something to think about.

I am doing guppies outside this year in a 7 gallon tub with a lot of plants.vmay be a bit small, but I can manage stock

I have 3 pair of guppies and 3 pair of endlers and in 3 months they have filled a 55 gallon with 50-60 offspring and the offspring are almost ready to start breeding. You live were it's warm? Why ya gonna do with all the fish once it gets cold and your trying to sell all your stock at once because it's to cold to keep them outside any more. Hopefully you live somewhere warm and you won't have to worry about any of that but just something to think about.

I plan on selling all the extras locally.

Fishobsessed7

Today I added a male Molly to the tank. I added a heater just to ensure that he will be fine. I have 4 more mollies in QT that will go in in about a month. I also have two females that I will add soon that are in my main tank. Still haven't setup the stock tanks.

Fishobsessed7

Today i setup three 110 gallon stock tanks outside. I also bought some water lettuce and water hyacinth. I put one W.L. and one W.H. in two of the stock tanks, and the hex tank and the other stock tank got one W.H. each. The garbage can hasn't gotten any plants yet. I am waiting for the plants I have now to reproduce and just put those in. The trash can hasn't been used BTW. There is a broken terra cotta pot and a cave ornament I don't need in one, and one has a rainbow cave decoration in it.( I was talking about the stock tanks!) for the hex I plan on doing white clouds, one stock tank will get Cherry barbs and Australian rainbowfish, possibly zebra danios also, another will get guppies and platies, and the last stock tank will have mollies and swordtails. I'm not sure what is going in the trash can yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Molly is doing well.

Here are some pictures!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431300897.698467.jpg

Fishobsessed7

Peacock gudgeons? My neighbor has some in big barrels outside that he breeds them in. Hardly does anything for them. Mosquito larvae is the food source and he has a heap of frogbit on surface.

That is a good idea! I'll have to look around and see if any of the local stores have them!

Fishobsessed7

The water in the hex is becoming a very dark green, which is good in outdoor tanks. Hopefully the others will start to turn green soon now!

Fishobsessed7

Today I added 14 white clouds to the hex tank, and I removed the Molly, and put it in one of the 110 gallon tubs. I only paid 3$ even for the white clouds.

Fishobsessed7

Added a female black Molly to give the other Molly company's, in the 3rd stock tank.

Fishobsessed7

Bro do an update on YouTube on the project

Done!

Added a male 4 more mollies. The water has turned green in everything but the trash can, but it is turning. There is some hair algae in the stock tanks. The mollies are keeping it under control in their tub, but the other tubs really need fish to control it.

Fishobsessed7

Today I added a few guppies and platies. Hopefully I can make it to the LFS today and get some more fish.

Fishobsessed7

Yaaay

Im doing this too! but in a kiddie pool Im wondering if you need to cycle or not and I also have a lot of algae in my water so much that you can't see 4 cm down:l

Im doing this too! but in a kiddie pool Im wondering if you need to cycle or not and I also have a lot of algae in my water so much that you can't see 4 cm down:l

I didn't cycle mine, but I'm only adding as much fish, as the amount of waste the plants can absorb.

Just out of curiosity,vow hat fish are you going to put in your setup?

Fishobsessed7

I didn't cycle mine, but I'm only adding as much fish, as the amount of waste the plants can absorb.

Just out of curiosity,vow hat fish are you going to put in your setup?

Fishobsessed7

What fish!

Fishobsessed7

Any filtration on that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom