Breeding Turtle Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Want to breed food for my two turtles to keep the cost down in the long run. I need some opinions on the quickest easiest fish and inverts to breed in a freshwater tank that will also be nutritional for the turtle and breed quick enough that I will always have a supply. Obviously snails breed quickly but what's the best and get a decent size? Fish wise I'd like to not have to remove the adults from the fry, any suggestions?

I'm not sure if turtles will eat snails, I've only got one small turtle and have not tried to feed him any. But if they do, ramshorn and pond snails are great. They basically take care of themselves and you'll likely never run out.

I've im the beginning phase of culturing 'phoenix worms' but I'm still a few weeks out of having any actual results.

That's the first thing my turtles ate when I put them in their tanks lol they found a snail on the wall and munched it up haha. I've heard about the Phoenix worms they sound like good food. Any ideas on fish?

No. Platys will likely eat a lot of their fry if left together. The best chances of survival you would have leaving livebearers together would be with endlers, though they are slightly more expensive to buy in.

Aron said:
No. Platys will likely eat a lot of their fry if left together. The best chances of survival you would have leaving livebearers together would be with endlers, though they are slightly more expensive to buy in.

I'll look into them thanks!

What happens if they eat the parents instead? Just a thought. Pond snails I've considered but never been brave enough to go that road.

Nomadu571 said:
What happens if they eat the parents instead? Just a thought. Pond snails I've considered but never been brave enough to go that road.

If the turtles eat the parents? Not a problem they will be in separate tanks. I'm getting a 40g.

jkdubs2 said:
If the turtles eat the parents? Not a problem they will be in separate tanks. I'm getting a 40g.

That's good. Why not try both endlers/live bearers and snails? If its a separate tank, best of both worlds! Especially for puck and turt Russell.

Tru dat. This way I'll only have to supplement and buy calcium products once they get a good population going.

Back
Top Bottom