Breeding Yellow Labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson_004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This will be my first attempt at breeding and im going to try with yellow labs first as i heard there are relatively easy and once they start they dont stop lol. I have a 55 gal african tank then a 10gal tank im going to use to breed. i have 4 labs, 1 female about 4-5 inches and 3 others unsure about the sex yet but will know probably by later on tn. should i use a substrate in teh 10 gal or just leave the glass. Also what is the size that a yellow lab usually becomes sexually active because my other 3 are around 2-3 inches and ive had them for about 7 months.

Also is there any tips youd like to give me to hopefully make this successfull, perhaps thinks about lighting, temperature, water level.

Thnaks for any replies!!!

I've found yellows extremely easy to breed. If you plan on using the 10 gal only as a breeder tank you can leave it barebottomed. I don't like the look of a bare bottom tank personally so I always use pool filter sand. Depending on what sex the other yellows you have are, they are going to be breeding quite regularily. Keep in mind your goal should be two females at least to one male. They will usually become sexually mature around 3" or about a year old IME. It's important once you notice the mother holding that if you want to keep the fry, you move her earlier on so as to not cause her extra stress. Also after she spits leave her in the tank with the fry for a day or two to allow her to eat and get her energy up. Make sure there are hiding places for the fry. Make sure the 10 gal is cycled and the temps and parameters are the same as the larger tank. Good luck.

does it look like my female yellow lab is already holding or no? Not a very good pic but ill take anotehr as soon as she comes outta the cave lol

4hcrxv5.jpg

From that pic, in the reflection, it does look like she is holding. Hard to tell for sure. Are her "cheeks" bulged out and is she eating food? Most holding mothers don't eat while holding as the fry tend to make it a rather difficult task.

she hasnt eaten in 3 days maybe 1 pellet here and there and seems to be hiding in teh cave a lot more now she comes out rarely for a swim thejn after a minute goes right back in.

It sounds like she may very well be holding. You will be able to tell soon for sure as when they have been holding for a couple of weeks their cheeks will really bulge.

Back
Top Bottom