Brine Shrimp Egg Brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ESeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently stated hatching brine shrimp for my angelfish fry. I've seen a lot about how some brands get better hatch rates than others. Do any of you have particular brands or suppliers that you favor for your brine shrimp eggs?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi there!

All eggs should have a hatch % on the package, I think 80% is the normal rate. San Fransisco bay is a great brand...

I've recently stated hatching brine shrimp for my angelfish fry. I've seen a lot about how some brands get better hatch rates than others. Do any of you have particular brands or suppliers that you favor for your brine shrimp eggs?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have used many types and the ones I like best are O.S.I., San Francisco Bay and Brine Shrimp Direct. I used O.S.I. back in the 1980s in my old hatchery and had just opened a new 16 oz can when the hatchery went under so I kept that can in a freezer for over 30 years and when I started up this new hatchery a couple years back, I used up that same can and had a hatch rate of at least 80% so there is no doubt that they have/had quality eggs. However, with prices as high as they are now, I have switched to Brine Shrimp Direct's grade "C" ( I believe) and have great success with the hatch rate as well. It's all going to depend on the temperature and lighting you provide for the eggs to hatch. ( I use regular glass jars to hatch my eggs so no fancy hatchery is necessary to hatch any of these.) O.S.I. needed higher temps for maximum hatch. San Francisco Bay brand need cooler temps for best results and BSD's egg tends to be more light dependent at a "normal" temp and not a good hatch rate at higher temps as the OSI.
So the best you can do is try small amounts of various eggs and keep track of your results and go with whichever company you get the best hatch rate from.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom