Brine Shrimp Hatchery Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if anyone has tried this and what success they have had. If you have never heard of it, here is the web site to check it out
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/store.cfm?CFID=4411226&CFTOKEN=92863687&d=3249&c=5279&m=0&do=list

The person I talked to said they have hatched millions of brine shrimp in this thing and it works better than anything they have seen. No airaiton, no need to filter the shells, no hastle! I will be getting one soon but wanted to know if anyone had used it. Cone in the middle for collecting and straining the shrimp in one easy step.

Sounds to good to be true but if it works, what a time and hastle saver!

I've used the sfbb hatchery and it works on a similar principle...brine shrimp swim towards light so they swim to the top and the cysts stay in the main chamber, well, most of them do. I dont imagine this one would be any different. One advantage of the sfbb is that the top chamber is fresh water so you can dump it directly into the tank. Non-aerated hatcheries won't give as high of yields as fast but can still produce ridiculous numbers. The premixed packs that come with the sfbb create clouds of the buggers. I use 2 tbls of Aquarium Pharm. aquarium salt and 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon of cysts and have always had great results. The most important thing is to have fresh cysts. Hatch rates can drop severely with age. It's available at petsmart for around $10. Fry grow faster and adults eat it like popcorn.

Looks like a good one. Here is a place I found it a little cheaper.
http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=000945661700

Looks really good as it gets the shrimp into fresh water. The one from brine shrimp direct is a little different as the center has a seive that you simply lift out and put the shrimp in the tank. Get a little salt but no messing with another chamber. Might have to try both of them to see which one works better. Either way, they sound like both will provide large numbers over a longer period of time. The one from BSD is said to produce shrimp for up to a week but I will guess the numbers drop drastically. Probably the same as the one from SFBB.

I may have to work with a new design and put it in the DIY section if I can figure out how to combine airation with no hastle harvesting. Maybe a large pyramid shaped bottom chamber with a large tube that comes into the chamber or something for the shrimp to swim into or something. Have to at least try to get the best of both worlds. Maybe even a large plastic or rubber tube that you put in the regular hatcheries we all use. Got to be something that will work.

Wow...thanks a million for providing that link! Although I have purchased from BSD before, they never carried that shrimpery then, and it is a very similar model to a LongLife shrimpery I had 25 years ago (See the attached pic...and if anyone actually has a Longlife shrimpery like this, I want to buy it from you !). These types of hatcheries work very well, actually.

Attachments

• be_3_154.jpeg
    be_3_154.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 869
Toirtis said:
Menagerie said:
Toirtis, you HAVE a brine shrimpery, or did you misplace it?

Not yet....but one dark night, in the wee hours, it is going to mysteriously materialise on someone's doorstep...

Ill ask my aunt if she can find my bs hattchery for me.. she's really good at finding mysteriously materilised items.. :twisted:
btw.. I dont like doing that!!! 8O ROFL!!!

Let me assure you that these certainly work. I had one when I was living in Australia and they beat the pants off the 2 litre soft drink bottle type and there's just no comparison between them and the San Fransisco Bay hatchery. Sadly I let mine go when I got out of aquariums for a while and now that I am living in New Zealand I can't find anyone here who has actually seen them or knows about them. Hope this helps. Rod

Back
Top Bottom