bristlenose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 albino bristlenose pleco. They are around 1 in long. How long until I can sex them and they be able to breed? And just because they are all albinos they can still breed.right? Also are there anyways I can make my own driftwood?

I'd say they have to be around 3 inches. I've heard male bristle nose grow the bristles all around ( lips up to their nose) and females have fewer or none and only around the lips. Males typically are larger also.. Yes they can still breed being an albino is just a recessive gene. There comes alot of things you have to do to be able to breed. Here's a good link
http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/t1320-breeding-the-bristlenose-pleco

As for driftwood what we dd was go down to the river and find some. I don't think you can just make it.. You'd have to water log it then let it dry in the sun without rotting? Not sure. But if you do collect pieces run it through the dish washer without soap. We also had to drill stainless steel screws with granite pieces we got from some stone working place to anchor it down. Hope I helped a bit!

Thank you so much! Do you know how long till they will be that long?

Well we have a regular bristle nose and an albino.. It took our albino maybe 6 months to grow to 3 inches. Our regular one hasn't grown as much or as quickly. We did move them from a 10 gallon into a 75 gallon though.

Back
Top Bottom