Bristlenose Pleco eggs not hatching ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, so my bristlenose plecs have laid a batch of eggs on the side of the glass near the heater and filter about a week ago and they still haven't hatched. Dad has been religiously fanning them and they are still orange haven't turned white at all. Can it take longer I'm some instances ? Or is this not normal ?

Temperature will play a role in how long it takes for the eggs to hatch. The colder the water, the longer it takes. The fact that they have not turned white is a good sign they are still viable.
My bristlenose had a bad habit of kicking the egg balls out of their breeding tube so I was able to see them develop. Using nothing more than a high powered magnifying glass, I could see the blood pulsating through the veins. If you can see that, they are just taking their time developing. (y)

So they hatched today, yay! Thanks! That makes sense I have the temp set on 20 degrees celcius cos they are in with fancy goldfish. I hope Dad keeps guarding them and they survive the goldies bellys :)

It's a little unusual for them to lay up on the glass which may mean the fish do not feel secure on the bottom due to the goldfish being there. You may want to try to get the fry out and into a separate tank until they are large enough to not get eaten. (y)

And Congrats on the hatch. ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom