Bristlenose Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrainiacPaul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
G'day all,
Pretty soon, I intend to start breeding Bristlenose Plecs to turn a buck and for the thrill of being a breeder of such a wonderful fish.
I just would like help on how to condition males and females for breeding and how to trigger it, I have been researching the topic alot (and I mean ALOT) and would just like a few pointers from people with experience

I have researched ideal tank size, area sculpting, water conditions, diet, breeding tunnels and pretty much everything to death, just need pointers on conditioning and triggering the breeders.

Thanks in advance.

-BrainiacPaul

No real advice from me I'm afraid. I've heard they're very difficult to breed as many plecos are. Good luck, I wish you well and look forward to see the results!

Perhaps it's because you have to have some focus and drive to actually do it - and possibly some extra tanks! I'd always counted any fish that breeds best in its own tank as difficult because there's the financial implications thereof. Also, there's all the water perimeters etc.

I notice you live in Aus, maybe you don't need to purchase things like heaters! heh.

i read that there actually pretty easy. i have 0 experience with them,but if i were trying to breed them i would lower the water level and turn the heater higher(to simulate dry season),wait a few weeks,then turn the heater down and replace the water you took out with cold water(to simulate rainy season)

Lol even living in Aus we still need heaters :p

and yeah temp-wise I have always had the heaters set to 26*Celsius (highest recommended to keep BN plecs in) so when I finally get my large(ish) breeding tank I will lower the temp to about 24 and see what happens.... after a couple of weeks of conditioning of course :p

Bristlenose are not difficult to breed. You need a good male that is a good breeder and dad, once they get started they are very productive. You do need a lot of caves, they breed well in the ceramic breeding logs that have a small opening and a closed end. I keep my young bristlenose in my discus grow out tanks, they grow rapidly with the large amount of food I feed the discus. I keep the tanks around 84F and they do fine. Shrimp pellets are a good addition to bristlenose diet when conditioning for breeding. Bristlenose also like a slice of zuchinni or cucumber in their diet. As with most fish, patience goes a long way when breeding.

Back
Top Bottom