Bristlenose plecs breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm new here btw so please let me know if i'm doing anything wrong

At the moment I have two bristlenose plecs and a ram fish. I've just noticed some eggs and am a little worried about the Ram fish eating them or something. honestly, I never really expected my fish to breed and I'm a complete amateur when it comes to all this. Is there something I need to do to keep them safe? Now and/or after they hatch?

you might need to put them into a diff tank but I am not for sure on that breed bc they might need to still be fertilized or be taken care by the mother or father etc :)

Google has a wealth of information on the subject. Just search for 'Breeding Bristlenose Plecos'. Please don't take that the wrong way but if you research the basics, you can ask us more specific questions rather than someone having to write EVERYTHING about it.
I just started breeding them a month ago and started a post on this very forum. Scroll down to about 3-4 weeks ago and you will see it. Full of pics, replies and info.
Looking forward to some more 'difficult' questions from u. Lol. I'll be following this thread and help with what I can. There are much more experienced pleco breeders on here tho. Hopefully they follow too

Oh and a 10g bare bottom tank to themselves is your best option.

When you move them, you only need to move the dad and the eggs. Mum is all done after initial spawning. Just put a big container under the water, put eggs/log with eggs in container, pull container out full of water and submerse in 10g tank. Take eggs out. That way eggs never leave water. Although I've heard it doesn't matter if they come in contact with air for a few seconds.

Or u can hatch them yourself in a breeder net/egg tumbler with an air stone providing a gentle flow.

Back
Top Bottom