Cacatuoide spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 1 male and 3 female double red cacatuoides. Last night, one of the females was guarding her new eggs which I believe is the first spawn because I purchased these fish fairly young. They were laid on the underside of a rock and are fairly well protected from the other fish. The spawn is about the size of a nickle and light brown in colour. This morning, it appeared as if the female was possibly eating the eggs or maybe just picking at them. I read that once the eggs hatch, she will move them. Does anyone know if cacatuoides are notorious for eating their eggs?

Mine look after the eggs and fry very well. The babies get eaten at night (by the corys) if I don't set up a night light so the mother can see to chase them away.

Update

There were still approx. 2/3's of the eggs last night at 9 p.m. This morning, almost all gone (about 15 left). The female is still guarding them very well. I don't have any cories in that tank that might have gotten to them so its either the female or bad luck! If any hatch, you can have any females there are.

Back
Top Bottom