Calling cory fry experts help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,
I have my first cory fry (squee!) they're a couple of days old. I was hoping that maybe someone could tell me what species they are or maybe it's too early I dunno.
I have:
9 bronze mixed, if so this would be their first spawn since they just got hefty enough
7 trilineatus mixed, haven't seen any breeding behavior from them and some are still small
2 rabauti, 1m 1f
I know it's not the bandits or lone panda.
Anyone have any thoughts?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419097420.916407.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419097432.643656.jpg

Well anyway I think it's the bronze. Today is WC day and I witnessed the T and the spraying by them to start but now I have a huge scattering of eggs again. Time will tell!

That's awesome! What kind of setup do you have for fry?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A ghetto one haha. I started with the breeder trap with the side slots but switched to one with tiny holes on the bottom. They still escaped so now I have a Tupperware floating in the tank hooked to the lid with a rubber band and a bobby pin lol. So now I have the eggs back in the slotted breeder under the filter outflow.

Now can corys interbreed, like a dog and a coyote? I have 2 colors of c aleneus or however you spell it, and I'm sure they can intermingle but I always wondered about other varieties cross breeding and creating hybrids.

Highly unlikely. Even on the off chance they do, it's more common for the eggs to appear viable and then disintegrate rather than hatch, but it is possible. I imagine it's more likely to come to fruition the more closely a species is related but I'm not a an expert. That's what I've read just digging around.

Whoops, forgot to mention if you have bronze and albinos (both c aenus) then yes they can breed but no idea what the fry coloration will be. I would assume primarily bronze but I'm not a genetics expert haha

From watching the fish I think it's been 2 albinos that spawned. The fry look albino so far. I'll have to wait and see though.

Whoops, forgot to mention if you have bronze and albinos (both c aenus) then yes they can breed but no idea what the fry coloration will be. I would assume primarily bronze but I'm not a genetics expert haha

I think that the F1 generation will all be bronze but the F2 generation will have both.

Fishobsessed7

I have a bit of a dilemma.
So I have 50+ fry now, 6 are 11 days old and the rest are 3 days old.
1 - when can they go together
2 - is there any chance I can put the big group in an uncycled 20 gal? I don't really want to but I figured it would be more grow out space, bioload is small, and I'm doing multiple small water changes every day anyway. With a large enough water volume could the fish in cycle be nearly negligent? I don't want to harm the little fry but the breeder box can't be semi permanent. I can seed the filter on my current tank (a better option) but my silver dollars are going insane with all the poking and prodding and cleaning I'm doing, they smashed into the breeder and knocked it for a loop the other day.
I'll start seeding until I see replies. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom