Can keep my pregnant platy in a breeder for a week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezeloverr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I just got a female platy and she was very fat when I got her. I can now see the gravid spot. My other platy looked just like this and she had babies 4 days later. The thing is, someone else is taking care of my fish.

I won't be able to watch her and make sure shes okay. So, when she does have her babies, I don't want her to have them in the tank because I want them to live.

Is it safe to keep her in the breeder for 1 week?
Thanks.

My molly has been in one for almost a week, she seems fine. I don't know for sure though, i was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone with knowledge will come by haha

Oh! No its not solid. It has tiny slits on the side to let water in. Is that good or bad?

I wouldn't you could stress her out and kill her or cause her to, abort them fry. Deffinatley not a good idea.

i dont like breeder boxes,i had my swordtail in one and she got really streesed out,if you want to save the babys either get another tank or lots of java moss

We have a platy that is pretty near ready to pop, and we found a 10 gallon at Petsmart cheap to use as a breeding tank. I would never keep my fish in a tiny breeder box, just my preference. Its better to get a 5 or 10 gallon and do it up nice so she isnt stressed out. That or floating plants and live plants work good too. We had 3 babies we found hiding up in our floating plants and they did a good job of hiding

Would it be okay if I put 6 plants really close together and put a barrel ornament that has holes in it so the fish can hide next to it?

I think it would still make for such a small confined space with no room to swim or go.
Id definitely keep her in the big tank and just get some floating plants (doesnt have to be real) or some java moss like aAlLex said. Dence places where babies can hide. In the mean time maybe invest in another small tank for the babies in the future.

Okay. Its legal to sell them to my friends, right? Because I heard about the whole glofish thing.

I have had fish die in them, its terrible to confine them to such a small space even for a day let alone a week.

Back
Top Bottom